• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Three Cent Nickels
2 2

67 posts in this topic

On 8/19/2023 at 3:01 PM, Sandon said:

....  Ron Guth has written for PCGS Coinfacts, "beware of Proofs masquerading as Mint State examples.... and the Proofs are worth much less than the Mint State versions."

I defy anyone to state objective criteria to distinguish between pieces struck as proofs and as circulation strikes,....

I recommend buying this date only as a proof.

18843cnProofobv..thumb.JPG.3405721fd9fc49b57818c46538c13294.JPG

18843cnProofrev..thumb.JPG.c7ec86ed17dc9df5d12fa46f41855a29.JPG

Photos courtesy of Stacks Bowers Galleries.  

I guess I am not reading this right, but...  If the Proofs are worth MUCH LESS than the Mint States, and it is difficult  to tell them apart in the absence of objective criteria, why would you recommend buying this date as a Proof?

On 8/27/2023 at 9:37 AM, Henri Charriere said:

I guess I am not reading this right, but...  If the Proofs are worth MUCH LESS than the Mint States, and it is difficult  to tell them apart in the absence of objective criteria, why would you recommend buying this date as a Proof?

Do you REALLY want to open the Pandora's box of why coin people do what they do? Seems like the ultimate rat hole to me.

The three coin set RWB showed above is cool. I could have grown into an American Maundy set, except instead of the. Head of State giving them to the poor, Presidents would be giving them only to their extended family members. After all, it's what we have become now.

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/27/2023 at 12:26 PM, RWB said:

.... Simply put, TPG should tell collectors how and why a decision was made.

I don't know if an explanation would be possible as they entail setting forth reasons which require time, and time is money.  The sheer volume of submissions received and processed may make that impractical.  It may very well come down to providing the requested information for an additional fee, or incorporating the feature when submission fees are raised, which seems inevitable.

This is not referring to routine matters, but to their "Specimen" and related items such as mentioned for 3-cent CuNi proofs.

On 8/27/2023 at 11:26 AM, RWB said:

TPG should tell collectors how and why a decision was made.

You have to take the Summer Seminar course. We discussed exactly that for a week. Yes, for "Specimen" strikes specifically. They stressed that NGC and PCGS are in SERIOUS disagreement on what constitutes a Specimen. PCGS is much "looser" in designating Specimens.

Edited by VKurtB