• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My only British coin. Is it valuable as Google claims?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I can’t see how a coin that had over 1 1/2 BILLION struck can be valuable. 
Perhaps because it was the first decimalized Colin issued in 1971, people think it is valuable.  
I do see them listed for ridiculous prices but it is what they sold for that counts, not the asking price.  
The listed price for a 1971 Uncirculated penny is about a dollar and about 20 cents for a circulated one.

On 8/2/2023 at 8:48 AM, Sandon said:

No. This 1971 U.K. New Penny is extremely common and as a slightly circulated coin with edge damage only worth a few cents. See Great Britain New Penny KM 915 Prices & Values | NGC (ngccoin.com). Dealers sell common foreign coins like these for a few dollars a pound. 

It is the first year of production at Llantrisant, Wales. All decimal coins were struck there. The first ONE struck by Her Majesty is on display there. 5p and 10p pieces were struck before 1971 because they were EXACTLY the same value as the shilling and florin. 

Edited by VKurtB

My only British coin. Is it valuable as Google claims?

I didn't know that google would make claims on the value of something?

Perhaps you meant that you see similar coins listed as valuable from a google search?  You need to look up sold listings, or auction results like from GC or HA, and temper that with NGC/PCGS guide prices as there can always be anomalies .