• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1828 Half Dollar Capped Bust For Grading
2 2

51 posts in this topic

On 8/3/2023 at 10:58 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

TRIGGERED WITH TRUTH bAHAHAHA

Read the requirements for bulk submissions, dope.

On 8/3/2023 at 8:59 AM, VKurtB said:

Read the requirements for bulk submissions, dope.

I have . But you must admit you are wrong. There are less than fully graded options to holder coins. Period. You are wrong. Split as many hairs as you like but you are flat out wrong

Minimum 100 coins of the same type. That is, minimum 100 Bust Halves. Let the gathering up begin. This 1828 needs 99 buddies. 

On 8/3/2023 at 11:10 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

I have . But you must admit you are wrong. There are less than fully graded options to holder coins. Period. You are wrong. Split as many hairs as you like but you are flat out wrong

Not when the coin at question is an 1828 bust half. That’s just moronic. It’s a choice that does not exist for the OP. 

On 8/1/2023 at 3:59 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Tobias, is this a coin you personally own ?  I presume it is raw ?

Where and when did you buy it, if it is yours ?

Nice-looking coin, as Cape Busts are not my area of knowledge, I won't venture a grading guess.:)

Hi, I bought it at auction. Just received it. Here are some better photos. Thanks for all the replies, even the bickering I guess. 

1828.jpg

18282.jpg

None of the S.S. Central America's coins, bars, ingots, etc. were cleaned. They were all "conserved" during a long, laborious process.  Semantics.

Tobias, a very nice example of a coin that in my opinion would straight grade as an XF-45.  

All the bickering on this board is detrimental to those of us who what to discuss and learn about coins.  Every thread seems to deteriorate into a match.  Too bad,

Edited by PSUMAN08

On 8/31/2023 at 7:44 AM, PSUMAN08 said:

All the bickering on this board is detrimental to those of us who what to discuss and learn about coins.  Every thread seems to deteriorate into a match.  Too bad,

I think everyone would agree with you on this, however, when misinformation is presented, it should be called out so that newer members are not mislead by that wrong information.   The amount of misinformation about numismatics in general and errors specifically has grown exponentially over the past few years.   Sadly, when that misinformation is provided by a know-it-all troll things are bound to deteriorate.

@Tobias J Reily Just curious, have you decided to submit this coin or keep it raw.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 8/31/2023 at 4:05 PM, Coinbuf said:

I think everyone would agree with you on this, however, when misinformation is presented, it should be called out so that newer members are not mislead by that wrong information.   The amount of misinformation about numismatics in general and errors specifically has grown exponentially over the past few years.   Sadly, when that misinformation is provided by a know-it-all troll things are bound to deteriorate.

@Tobias J Reily Just curious, have you decided to submit this coin or keep it raw.

Hi Coinbuf, I have submitted it. I collect slabbed coins for many reasons. In hand I think it looks a little nicer than the photos suggest, which usually happens with me. I'm hopeful for AU55 or even AU58. I bought the coin because it looked like a lovely example of a half dollar and I liked its colour. Its scheduled for grading currently. I'll update when its done. From experience, I don't think NGC will designate this details but you never know. Hopefully not. 

On 8/31/2023 at 9:22 AM, Tobias J Reily said:

Hi Coinbuf, I have submitted it. I collect slabbed coins for many reasons. In hand I think it looks a little nicer than the photos suggest, which usually happens with me. I'm hopeful for AU55 or even AU58. I bought the coin because it looked like a lovely example of a half dollar and I liked its colour. Its scheduled for grading currently. I'll update when its done. From experience, I don't think NGC will designate this details but you never know. Hopefully not. 

Looking forward to seeing your results.  :smile:

On 8/10/2023 at 12:37 PM, Tobias J Reily said:

Hi, I bought it at auction. Just received it. Here are some better photos. Thanks for all the replies, even the bickering I guess. 

1828.jpg

18282.jpg

Looks even nicer in these photos. If this has been cleaned, point out to me the hairlines or the halos around devices. Oops, there are none.

On 8/2/2023 at 12:36 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

I see a severely impaired surface with clean pitting holes and newer black pitting spots. This indicates cleaning and retoning over many years. The brownish black corrosion (toning) looks like it is from being kept in a stiff cardboard paper coin book or album for many years. IMO this coin has been cleaned and re toned....

[There is only one way to confirm the veracity of what you've asserted and that is to locate the former owner and give him the third degree.]  🤣

FWIW:  HOT OFF THE WIRE...  Northeast Numismatics recently acquired about four dozen of these type coins with several higher rarities. Many are in holders  For collectors of this series, they may be worth a look-see...