• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

? About 1827 50c. Caped bust
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I have just acquired a really nice 1827 50C. Drape bust square base 2! And this coin is by far the best drape I have ever found. Just wanted to check with everyone to see if this coin would be worth getting it graded bu NGC? I have never done this before so any information helps greatly!!

thank you all and have a blessed day!

4469E780-5A7E-46D8-8DD6-079146D26BB1.jpeg

93E183DB-58DF-481D-A47B-A3E393C98740.jpeg

Edited by $ton3R

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Your 1827 Capped Bust (not Draped Bust, these being the types dated 1796-1807) half dollar has details in the Very Fine range, but its unnaturally light gray color and the hairlining that I can see in the photos indicate that a grading service would likely "details" grade it as having been "cleaned". In my opinion, it wouldn't be worth the cost of third-party grading.

It is important for you to learn when a coin will likely be regarded as "cleaned" or otherwise impaired, especially if you intend to purchase uncertified coins. Some may still be worthwhile for an appropriate discount. I created a "Custom" NGC Registry Set depicting the certified coins in my collection that were described as "cleaned" and attempt to explain what to look for.  Characteristics of "Cleaned" Coins - Custom Set (collectors-society.com). Compare their appearance with the early half dollars that were numerically graded in my regular set, which also includes the "cleaned" and otherwise impaired certified pieces. Set Details | NGC Registry | NGC (ngccoin.com).

I agree with Sandon, your new coin shows signs of an aggressive cleaning which has started to pick up some light secondary tone.   The Capped Bust series in general is one that has over the years been subjected to lots of abuse, doctoring, and cleanings by both collectors and dealers looking to "improve" these coins to increase their sales value.    As such the TPG's are somewhat lenient (too much so imo) in today's grading room, having said that, I suspect that this coin would not receive a straight grade and is not a good candidate for grading and slabbing.

On 7/29/2023 at 11:02 AM, Sandon said:

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Your 1827 Capped Bust (not Draped Bust, these being the types dated 1796-1807) half dollar has details in the Very Fine range, but its unnaturally light gray color and the hairlining that I can see in the photos indicate that a grading service would likely "details" grade it as having been "cleaned". In my opinion, it wouldn't be worth the cost of third-party grading.

It is important for you to learn when a coin will likely be regarded as "cleaned" or otherwise impaired, especially if you intend to purchase uncertified coins. Some may still be worthwhile for an appropriate discount. I created a "Custom" NGC Registry Set depicting the certified coins in my collection that were described as "cleaned" and attempt to explain what to look for.  Characteristics of "Cleaned" Coins - Custom Set (collectors-society.com). Compare their appearance with the early half dollars that were numerically graded in my regular set, which also includes the "cleaned" and otherwise impaired certified pieces. Set Details | NGC Registry | NGC (ngccoin.com).

Thank you very much for the information like I said in the post any little thing is greatly appreciated!! You mentioned to get looked by a third-party grading. Any chance you can point me in a direction of who to use?

also many chance you know what this coin may be worth?

thank you so very much and have a great day!

On 7/29/2023 at 12:08 PM, $ton3R said:

You mentioned to get looked by a third-party grading. Any chance you can point me in a direction of who to use?

You misunderstood. I said the coin "wouldn't be worth the cost of third-party grading."  An unimpaired VF lists $110 in the NGC Price Guide, $115 in Coin World.  A dealer selling it in a grading service holder marked "cleaned" might reasonably ask $75. The dealer might pay $35-$40 for it as a hard to sell item. Assuming that you already have a paid membership with submission privileges, NGC would charge a $23 "Economy" (lowest possible for this coin) tier, plus a $10 per order processing fee, plus a minimum $28 return shipping fee, for a total of $61, not including your own shipping cost.  (Review the topics under the "Submit" tab on the NGC home page, www.ngccoin.com.) PCGS (pcgs.com) fees are similar. ANACS (anacs.com) costs somewhat less and doesn't charge a membership fee, but the coin isn't worth their cost either.

Until you learn to grade and otherwise evaluate coins yourself, it would be unwise for you to send coins to grading services. We can point out the essential print and online resources to help you learn. You should also examine as many third-party graded coins as you can and speak to experienced collectors and dealers.

You should place this coin in a protective hard plastic holder or capsule, many of which will enable you to see its lettered edge, which would be at least partly obscured by a grading service holder.

It's still a nice old coin. Don't get discouraged. Purists will have you believe cleaned coins or impaired coins are the devil. Just enjoy the hobby and take it slow before you spend any serious cash on a raw coin. Cheers!