• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible 1965 quarter DD error
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I was hunting through my quarter tub today and found this 1965 quarter. I know there’s a DD error for this coin and was wondering if you all think this is it. I think I see a DD error in the “In God We Trust” 

IMG_0887.jpeg

IMG_0888.jpeg

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

NGC VarietyPlus lists three doubled die obverse (DDO) varieties for 1965 Washington quarters, but from what I can see from your photos, this coin doesn't match any of them and for the most part appears to have shelf-like "strike" or "machine" doubling on the motto, not a doubled die. See  Washington Quarters (1932-1998) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com).  It would be helpful if you would post clear, cropped photos of the entire obverse and reverse of the coin so that we can see all of the diagnostic points for the various varieties for a more definitive answer.

From what I can tell from the photos you provided of your coin, I only see the early stages of die erosion doubling which commands no premium in the marketplace. As of note to you, doubling (DDO/DDR) is not an error. It is a variety.

It doesn't match the only known 1965 25C DDO to have doubling of all the lettering, which is a DDO FS-101 variety from the link Sandon posted.  See the attached diagnostics image for that.

It doesn't seem to be hub doubling, but I may see some corner notching so you might want to look closely at the coin in-hand using the attached infographic on doubled dies and the following webpage with examples of corner notching for the 1965 25C ... http://varietyvista.com/09b WQ Vol 2/DDO Detail Pages/1965PDDO001.htm

1965 25C DDO FS-101 Diagnostics.jpg

Errors - Doubled Die Graphic.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 7/22/2023 at 6:35 AM, EagleRJO said:

It doesn't match the only known 1965 25C DDO to have doubling of all the lettering, which is a DDO FS-101 variety from the link Sandon posted.  See the attached diagnostics image for that.

It doesn't seem to be hub doubling, but I may see some corner notching so you might want to look closely at the coin in-hand using the attached infographic on doubled dies and the following webpage with examples of corner notching for the 1965 25C ... http://varietyvista.com/09b WQ Vol 2/DDO Detail Pages/1965PDDO001.htm

1965 25C DDO FS-101 Diagnostics.jpg

Errors - Doubled Die Graphic.jpg

Would you be so kind to provide insight of this quarter I have which has similarities to DDO FS-101 in my opinion?

All letters and numbers show similar doubling as well. 

Thank you in advance. 

IMG_1404.jpeg

IMG_1410.jpeg

On 8/26/2024 at 12:54 AM, Coin.Collector said:

Would you be so kind to provide insight of this quarter I have which has similarities to DDO FS-101 in my opinion?

All letters and numbers show similar doubling as well. 

Thank you in advance. 

IMG_1404.jpeg

IMG_1410.jpeg

This coin is quite worn even if it had a DDO it would not be worth much due to the damage on the obverse from a coin rolling machine. 

@Coin.Collector--Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Please post questions about your own coins as new topics, not as a reply to someone else's old topic. You will receive e-mail notifications of replies to your topic, not someone else's, and it will be less confusing for us.  Additionally, please crop your images so that they show as little as possible of the surface surrounding the coin.

Your coin does not appear to match the FS-101 or any of the significant doubled die obverse (DDO) varieties for 1965 Washington quarters, which are listed and imaged on NGC VarietyPlus at Washington Quarters (1932-1998) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com). On the FS-101 and FS-102, the secondary image is above the primary image, not below it as on yours, and the date on your coin does not match the doubling on the VP-003 (CONECA: DDO-003). I think that the doubling on your coin, though pronounced, is likely strike doubling, a.k.a. machine or mechanical doubling. See Double Dies vs. Machine Doubling | NGC (ngccoin.com). You can check for other, though usually less significant varieties on the doubleddie.com and varietyvista.com websites.

As noted, the circular scratches on this coin, likely due to a roll wrapping machine, would limit its value even if it is a DDO variety.

On 8/26/2024 at 11:32 AM, Sandon said:

Please post questions about your own coins as new topics, not as a reply to someone else's old topic. You will receive e-mail notifications of replies to your topic, not someone else's, and it will be less confusing for us. 

I assume one has to sign up for this option, since I have never gotten an email from NGC.

On 8/26/2024 at 6:02 PM, Just Bob said:

I assume one has to sign up for this option, since I have never gotten an email from NGC.

Whenever someone replies to one of my topics, I receive an e-mail informing me of it and quoting it at least in part. It's possible that this is in the account options, but I don't remember specifically asking for it.

On 8/26/2024 at 6:27 PM, Sandon said:

Whenever someone replies to one of my topics, I receive an e-mail informing me of it and quoting it at least in part. It's possible that this is in the account options, but I don't remember specifically asking for it.

I also receive e-mails on replies to topics

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I agree with Sandon, and I also checked Variety Vista for the conditions and markers associated with this year of Washington quarter, and I am unable to match any of the listed varieties to your quarter, nor the markers associated with them. That also leads me to believe while it may be a more pronounced doubling than is found on some, that you have strike doubling, possibly from a loose die in the press. This would not add any premium to this quarter.