• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This is too cool not to post: 5-piece 1901 proof set in NGC Gen1 black holders on Great Collections
1 1

39 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2023 at 1:19 PM, zadok said:

one additional fact is that these black core holders often bring premiums of $3000-$4000 or more each....

Depending on the value of the coin, right ?  You're not saying the holders themselves are worth that much money, rare as they are ?

On 7/28/2023 at 8:08 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Bo Derek was a "10"....guess she was graded on that new NGC scale !! xD

...gradeflation, dont u just love it...i think she was a technical grade n not a market grade, just mho....

** i should amend that to say still "is" n not "was"....

Edited by zadok
change a word

On 7/28/2023 at 8:10 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Depending on the value of the coin, right ?  You're not saying the holders themselves are worth that much money, rare as they are ?

...yep thats what im saying...there have been $100 coins in these holders bring 30X coin value....

On 7/28/2023 at 8:10 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

...there r coin collectors then there r holder collectors who just happen to have coins in their holders...another good example will be the sale of the first coin holdered by pcgs which is coming up in a charity auction, of course there will be the factor that its for charity to factor in, but it will bring gigantic multiples over the coin value...as an aside dont pay any attention to the uniformed quibbling over the orientation of the coin, its in a rattler holder n any novice collector understands that those coins vibrated to diff orientations thru normal handling....

On 7/28/2023 at 8:21 PM, zadok said:

...there r coin collectors then there r holder collectors who just happen to have coins in their holders...another good example will be the sale of the first coin holdered by pcgs which is coming up in a charity auction, of course there will be the factor that its for charity to factor in, but it will bring gigantic multiples over the coin value...as an aside dont pay any attention to the uniformed quibbling over the orientation of the coin, its in a rattler holder n any novice collector understands that those coins vibrated to diff orientations thru normal handling....

I love older holders. Not all the time but quite often the coin in the older holder is a nicer coin than the grade on the slab.  

On 7/21/2023 at 4:30 PM, zadok said:

...humph...i guess ngc, cac n current bidder disagrees....

On 7/28/2023 at 7:32 PM, Henri Charriere said:

:news:  

I have just had the great misfortune of seeing a photo of the very first coin encapsulated by [an acronym a prominent member has chosen to sismissively refer to as "that four-letter word."]

I believe the site coinnews.net, or some such, and the coin was a Washington quarter. (I didn't loiter long enough to find out because I sensed Dena's presence) :roflmao:

And guess what? The TPGS' very first coin was entombed, in 1985, sideways.  SIDEWAYS!  If anyone can summon up the intestinal fortitude to justify that, with a straight face, I am all ears.  

This has always turned me away from those holders. And to think some pay way up for rattlers with some coins turned even upside down !

On 7/29/2023 at 9:41 AM, numisport said:

This has always turned me away from those holders. And to think some pay way up for rattlers with some coins turned even upside down !

...with a bit of patience n a gentle rhythm one can reverse that turn....

Or with a little patience and gentle rhythm they can turn a right-side up coin/slab into an upside down one and sell it for a premium.

My understanding of the reason the black NGC's were holder in the orientation they were was because NGC listened to a consultant who told how critical it was for them to have their logo prominently placed on the front of the slab so it was the first thing seen.  So the logo went on the front and the label went on the back.  Collectors and dealers hated it and the color so almost immediately both were changed, white insert with label on the front and logo on the back.  Then the problem was the plain white label disappeared on the white insert and that was quickly changed as well.

You're not saying the holders themselves are worth that much money, rare as they are ?

That has been the going rate lately, about $4,000 over and above the value of the coin.

Someone needs to report these to the census thread ATS  https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/785123/ngc-black-slab-census-now-42-documented

None of these are listed on the census, it will bring the known listings up to 48 pieces since the census began over 13 years ago.  I can't do it because I'm banned over there.

On 8/8/2023 at 8:43 AM, Conder101 said:

....  I can't do it because I'm banned over there.

I see... well, once again their loss is NGC's gain. Reports of over-moderation only encourages a chilling effect. My regard for you, and the sage advice you've freely offered here to me and others, have only elevated your status as a seasoned veteran.  (thumbsu