• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

opinion on this 1873-CC half

10 posts in this topic

Everytime I take this to a show, this coin gets a lot of interest amongst dealers.. I've owned it for almost 30 years, and I'm not all that excited about it myself.

ANACS said it is authentic, I just never took the time to get it in a holder.

Opinions on grade or anything special about this are appreciated. See next post for view of reverse.

-Jim

843814-1873cc_obv.jpg.4ea2287f89832168e1e16effcc138c8c.jpg

It's funny you should post an 1873-CC half, as I just bought one not more than 24 hours ago from a local customer! The one I bought has strong Extremely Fine details, especially the reverse, but is slightly glossy, possibly from a very light cleaning, so I am grading it VF-35. Overall, your example is stronger, and I think it's basically AU.

I paid $900 cash for my coin, and plan to sell it at $1000. What kinds of offers are you getting?

James

Looks AU, but it has the rim bump. If it were a common date coin, it'd be bagged. As is, probably a net grade of EF45.

This is Breen 4979, small cc's. Breen 4980 is the large CC's. Nice XF45. PCGS often grades these coins loosely, so it might get and AU, if there are no problems.

TRUTH

I guess my eyes are going but I don't see the luster to go high XF/AU. Whatever the grade, it's a magic CC mint mark, with probably less than 200 certified. Scarce and rare-- I see why dealers might get real interested!!!

Nice coin, JB! It looks like the m/m is tilted to the northeast quite a bit. Is that common for these coins? I love CC-anything.

Chris

Nice coin, JB! It looks like the m/m is tilted to the northeast quite a bit. Is that common for these coins? I love CC-anything.

Chris

So I heard,I guess I'll have to send you another e-mail grin.gif

-Hayden