• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submit Coin For Grading In An Airtite?
1 1

68 posts in this topic

Going to be sending in several 2021 Morgan's & 2021 Peace Dollars for grading. Is it ok to send them in inside the original airtite type capsule they came in? 
Seems they'd be better protected in shipping this  

Edited by Vendetta50

You can submit them in the original packaging, and yes you have to sign off on the authorization to remove the coins from those holders. Since I submit all my coins in the required flips, I think however there might be a charge for NGC to remove them from the packaging.

On 7/20/2023 at 11:05 PM, powermad5000 said:

... yes you have to sign off on the authorization to remove the coins from those holders

That's what I thought.  Makes you really stop and think why they would need a waiver to do that.

On 7/20/2023 at 7:31 PM, Vendetta50 said:

... sending in several 2021 Morgan's & 2021 Peace Dollars for grading

Btw, why submit them for grading?  And unless they grade out MS70 you will lose money, and TPG's are tight handing those out.

and yes you have to sign off on the authorization to remove the coins from those holders.

Nope, not for the OGP, but you do have to sign off for NGC to remove coins from another TPG's holder other than their own, NCS or PCGS.

I think however there might be a charge for NGC to remove them from the packaging.

There's not for removing coins from OGP, maybe for other types of sealed holders. (shrug) Also, if you want NGC to send the OGP back to you there is an additional fee. $5 I think, something like that.

That's been my experience at any rate.

... you have to sign off on the authorization to remove the coins from those holders ... however there might be a charge for NGC to remove them from the packaging

On 7/21/2023 at 6:13 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Nope, not for the OGP, but you do have to sign off for NGC to remove coins from another TPG's holder other than their own, NCS or PCGS

I keep coins in the OGP, but I seem to remember at one time you had to agree to the removal and there was a nominal charge.  I don't see that as a current requirement, so maybe it changed at some point.

I'm still curious why the OP is submitting these coins, and if they have been carefully evaluated so there is a good shot at perfect MS70s.

On 7/21/2023 at 6:58 AM, EagleRJO said:

I'm still curious why the OP is submitting these coins, and if they have been carefully evaluated so there is a good shot at perfect MS70s.

I went and took a look over at the sold listings on ebay and it looks like 69's are going for $130 and up, 70's $250 and up with most being well above those numbers. If for selling reasons it might be worth the chance if selling right away, if there is a Morgan with D privy that grades 70 the OP would have hit the jackpot. Or maybe they have another reason for sending these in. (shrug)

I didn't go and look at the pop reports to calculate grading %'s but, other than the "D", these are probably grading 70 at clip of 70% or greater,  my guess, as long as they've been handled and stored correctly the OP should expect their coins to grade along those %'s. Whatever they are. 

On 7/21/2023 at 4:21 AM, EagleRJO said:

That's what I thought.  Makes you really stop and think why they would need a waiver to do that.

Btw, why submit them for grading?  And unless they grade out MS70 you will lose money, and TPG's are tight handing those out.

Why submit for grading? 

YOU have to be kidding,  So never get ANY coin graded then.

On 7/21/2023 at 11:31 AM, Vendetta50 said:

So never get ANY coin graded then.

Quite to the contrary, it makes sense to submit higher value (say $500 or more) coins made for circulation that didn't receive special handling, especially if they are known to have been deceptively counterfeited or altered or if they can be difficult to grade or to determine whether they are impaired. This is why third-party grading was developed in the 1980s. None of these reasons applies to modern collectors' issues that have been obtained directly from the mint or from reputable dealers in their original packaging.  Almost all of these coins are superb gems (69 or 70) and virtually indistinguishable from each other.  I and other long-time collectors are befuddled by the fad of newer collectors spending their hard-earned money to submit such coins to grading services.

For more on this topic, see the last few days' posts on the following topic:

On 7/20/2023 at 10:05 PM, powermad5000 said:

You can submit them in the original packaging, and yes you have to sign off on the authorization to remove the coins from those holders. Since I submit all my coins in the required flips, I think however there might be a charge for NGC to remove them from the packaging.

Nope, just the release.

On 7/21/2023 at 3:08 PM, Sandon said:

I and other long-time collectors are befuddled by the fad of newer collectors spending their hard-earned money to submit such coins to grading services.

Yup. 60 years experience in the hobby and you can count me among the befuddled over getting modern "not intended for circulation" coins graded. It's a complete waste of money. That said, the absolute MAJORITY of both NGC's and P-something's volume consists of these coins for whom grading is pointless. Their mommies must be so proud!

It's certainly your right to submit these coins to a grading service if you choose to do so, but I would like you to know the pertinent facts. Do you know that the vast majority of each issue of 2021 dated "Morgan dollars" that have been submitted to NGC have graded "70"? Anniversary Coins and Medals | Coin Census Population Report | NGC (ngccoin.com). Whatever premium now exists is likely to evaporate once it becomes understood that this coin is not "rare" in this grade. 

Hello??? I bought 10 of EACH 2021 Morgan's and more then QUADRUPLED my $$ from the purchase price, and that was AFTER paying & batching them to a LCS to send out for grading. 
That's also without the $$ from the Peace dollars which I'll be marketing soon.  
I read the clowns stating coins are not investments? Lmao. Tell that to my bank acct. Apollo 5oz I cleaned up on. Ones not making $$ are the old goats that buy something and take out of closet to show the grandkids, just so they can seem smart & important. ( Look what I got, bet you'd like to have)

PLENTY of $$ to be made, Just have to know how.  As far as the premiums coming down on the Morgan's, look again already been 2 years and they're STILL demanding $$ 

The mint has done much better this year with the quantities minted for the Morgan and Peace commemoratives, other than adding those golden tickets, stop please. I thought the mint underestimated the potential popularity, it'll be interesting to see what the market holds for flippers of these and what happens to the 2021's. I'd love to see the mint produce an initial amount with the explanation that more will be produced depending on demand for coins like these.

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

On 7/21/2023 at 5:54 PM, Vendetta50 said:

Ones not making $$ are the old goats that buy something and take out of closet to show the grandkids, just so they can seem smart & important.

I'm sure that those who I recall peddled 1973-S 40% silver proof "brown box" Eisenhower dollars for as much as $200 in the mid-to-late 1970s were happy with the quick buck they made as well, leaving those who bought and held them "to show the grandkids" with an item that sells for $25 or so in 2023 dollars in its original packaging and lists $90 in its highest listed grade of PF 69 UCAM in the NGC Price Guide.  Other examples of coins that I recall priced high for a few years after a mint "sellout" or lower-than-expected mintage and then declined markedly in price once accumulations were dispersed and interest declined include 1975 proof sets, 2001 American Buffalo commemorative dollars (still worth a premium but not as much) and 2005 Marine Corps commemorative dollars. 

The ability to submit modern coins to grading services and further inflate the prices of those that grade "70" even when that is the predominantly awarded grade creates a further trap for the uneducated collectors who think that they should buy modern coins to hold onto in certified holders for inflated prices that likely won't last.  If, unlike the OP, you are one of them, you should learn what is and isn't rare and what is and isn't worthy of third-party grading. Otherwise, you may find yourself the sort of customer whom P.T. Barnum referred to as "being born every minute."

1936Bridgeportcommemobv..thumb.jpg.7b9322006874dce2e4171dcd0a1695fc.jpg

What part of "Quadrupled" $$  is it that you don't understand.  
Obviously you are in the let me show the grandkids my worthless coins so I can seem important category. 

On 7/21/2023 at 11:31 AM, Vendetta50 said:

Why submit for grading? YOU have to be kidding,  So never get ANY coin graded then.

No, I'm not kidding.  You may be surprised at how many newer collectors just start submitting their mint packaged coins just because they think that's what they are suppose to do or have an urge to do after watching some hyped up YT posers.  But I don't think you fit in that category as you seem to have at least some knowledge and experience with buying and selling coins.

And there are many coins worth submitting for grading, just not all of them, and particularly not average mint issue coins in OGP you are simply going to keep in your collection.  Again, you may be surprised at how many newer collectors ask if they should submit average condition lower value coins (worth less than around $200 or so) for grading, including bullion coins, when they would lose money doing that.  For lower valued coins there is often only a small premium on graded coins compared to the raw value, and getting bullion coins graded is a losing game.

You can make some good money getting exceptional very clean 2021 Morgan or Peace dollars graded and then flipping them if they grade out MS70 as I noted, particularly the D and CC marks, since there is still a significant premium for those coins.  But most of the better 2021 Morgan or Peace dollars have already been skimmed off the top and submitted for grading by dealers or savvy collectors as it has been some time now since they were issued.

Many of the 2021 Morgan or Peace dollars being submitted for grading now are coming back as MS69 at best, and sites like eBay are flooded with those coins people are trying to sell at just break even prices, even with bulk grading fees, and sometimes at a loss just to clear inventory.  If you have a good eye you may be able to cherry-pick some exceptional very clean ones still floating around that will grade out, and I hope it works out for you.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 7/21/2023 at 8:11 PM, EagleRJO said:

No, I'm not kidding.  You may be surprised at how many newer collectors just start submitting their mint packaged coins just because they think that's what they are suppose to do or have an urge to do after watching some hyped up YT posers.  But I don't think you fit in that category as you seem to have at least some knowledge and experience with buying and selling coins.

And there are many coins worth submitting for grading, just not all of them, and particularly not average mint issue coins in OGP you are simply going to keep in your collection.  Again, you may be surprised at how many newer collectors ask if they should submit average condition lower value coins (worth less than around $200 or so) for grading, including bullion coins, when they would lose money doing that.  For lower valued coins there is often only a small premium on graded coins compared to the raw value, and getting bullion coins graded is a losing game.

You can make some good money getting exceptional very clean 2021 Morgan or Peace dollars graded and then flipping them if they grade out MS70 as I noted, particularly the D and CC marks, since there is still a significant premium for those coins.  But most of the better 2021 Morgan or Peace dollars have already been skimmed off the top and submitted for grading by dealers or savvy collectors as it has been some time now since they were issued.

Many of the 2021 Morgan or Peace dollars being submitted for grading now are coming back as MS69 at best, and sites like eBay are flooded with those coins people are trying to sell at just break even prices, even with bulk grading fees, and sometimes at a loss just to clear inventory.  If you have a good eye you may be able to cherry-pick some exceptional very clean ones still floating around that will grade out, and I hope it works out for you.

The CC privy mark 2021's are above the average because of the ridiculous mystique of CC coins. THEY WERE MADE IN PHILLY, for you-know-whose sake! The D's are higher at MS70 because the Denver Mint produced too many inferior coins. That was a surprise. They're usually better than that. The longer term pattern is set. These will ALL be HUUUUUGE losers. Oversold, overhyped, overbought. Just a slightly different story from the 1964-2014 Kennedy gold half. I stopped checking the prices on the 2021's. I DON'T CARE. I never did.

There was a show in Bessemer, Alabama a couple of weeks ago. Scads and scads of 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars were in dealers' cases, most at or BELOW original issue price. Depends how many shows they want to shlep them to, unsold.

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/21/2023 at 10:50 PM, VKurtB said:

The CC privy mark 2021's are above the average because of the ridiculous mystique of CC coins.

Yea the 2021 CC as well as the O issues are really just "privy marks", but as noted there is still a significant premium on the CC privy marks due to the history and hype about Carson City struck coins.  The surprising one to me is the value of MS70 2021-D Morgans, as it seems many were uncharacteristically poorly struck at the Denver mint putting a premium on well struck exceptionally clean ones.

But I just don't like the way any of the 2021 Morgans look, which looks even worse and more poorly struck than the 1921's in my opinion.  They just look kind of fake, and they were all computer "enhanced" images then cut out with CNC's.  I did get all of the 2021 Morgans for my complete collection, but after looking them over I just shook my head and threw them back in the OPG never to be looked at again.

On 7/21/2023 at 10:19 PM, EagleRJO said:

Yea the 2021 CC as well as the O issues are really just "privy marks", but as noted there is still a significant premium on the CC privy marks due to the history and hype about Carson City struck coins.  The surprising one to me is the value of MS70 2021-D Morgans, as it seems many were uncharacteristically poorly struck at the Denver mint putting a premium on well struck exceptionally clean ones.

But I just don't like the way any of the 2021 Morgans look, which looks even worse and more poorly struck than the 1921's in my opinion.  They just look kind of fake, and they were all computer "enhanced" images then cut out with CNC's.  I did get all of the 2021 Morgans for my complete collection, but after looking them over I just shook my head and threw them back in the OPG never to be looked at again.

Correct on every count. All the 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars exhibit all the diagnostics to be adjudged as counterfeits if they were of the original date ranges. Completely inferior work at all the Mints. Inferior dies, not the right alloy, classic counterfeit diagnostics. It's the most embarrassing U.S. Mint product of all time. (And that includes the SBA dollar.) The 2023 Peace dollar is no better. Yeccch!

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/21/2023 at 10:50 PM, VKurtB said:

The CC privy mark 2021's are above the average because of the ridiculous mystique of CC coins. THEY WERE MADE IN PHILLY, for you-know-whose sake! The D's are higher at MS70 because the Denver Mint produced too many inferior coins. That was a surprise. They're usually better than that. The longer term pattern is set. These will ALL be HUUUUUGE losers. Oversold, overhyped, overbought. Just a slightly different story from the 1964-2014 Kennedy gold half. I stopped checking the prices on the 2021's. I DON'T CARE. I never did.

There was a show in Bessemer, Alabama a couple of weeks ago. Scads and scads of 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars were in dealers' cases, most at or BELOW original issue price. Depends how many shows they want to shlep them to, unsold.

Yeah ok pal. Tell it to someone that'll believe you. There's not a SINGLE 2021 Morgan out there that's going for UNDER the $85.00 issue price.  
Nice try closet clown.  

On 7/21/2023 at 10:35 PM, Vendetta50 said:

Yeah ok pal. Tell it to someone that'll believe you. There's not a SINGLE 2021 Morgan out there that's going for UNDER the $85.00 issue price.  
Nice try closet clown.  

Coming from the likes of you? Gimme a stinking break. I have seen it, IN PERSON WITH MINE OWN EYES, just under two weeks ago. Bessemer, Alabama.

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/21/2023 at 11:37 PM, VKurtB said:

Coming from the likes of you? Gimme a stinking break. 

How about that PROOF of scads of 2021's being sold for at or under issue price.  
Closet clown. 

On 7/21/2023 at 10:40 PM, Vendetta50 said:

How about that PROOF of scads of 2021's being sold for at or under issue price.  
Closet clown. 

Sorry, I had not anticipated there would be an azzclown such as you who doesn't get out of his mommy's basement, that I'd need to prove it to. I don't walk around coin shows with a camera. People don't like it.

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/21/2023 at 11:41 PM, VKurtB said:

Sorry, I had not anticipated there would be an azzclown such as you who doesn't get out of his mommy's basement, that I'd need to prove it to. I don't walk around coin shows with a camera.

Blah blah blah, typical old lying wind bag. Dude like you too broke to buy one. 

On 7/21/2023 at 10:44 PM, Vendetta50 said:

Blah blah blah, typical old lying wind bag. Dude like you too broke to buy one. 

My net worth exceeds $2 million. My ANNUAL giving to the American Numismatic Association is a 4-figure number, and if you go to the Pittsburgh convention, my name will be listed among the Donors/Patrons.

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/21/2023 at 11:46 PM, VKurtB said:

My net worth exceeds $2 million.

And that's sippose to be impressive? 
Your credibility is ZERO!  "Don't walk around coin shows with a camera' 

Well I guess brokeback doesn't have a phone then.  
How about those SCADS of them under issue price. NONE of these supposed dealers advertise online either huh?  
You're a pathetic lying piece of S#%t