• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible 1958 DDO ?????
1 1

8 posts in this topic

You posted photos of the same or a similar normal 1958 Lincoln cent on Friday with the same question. I'll give the same response: 

Your coin is definitely not, nor does it resemble, the extremely rare 1958 doubled die obverse cent, of which only three are known to exist and all of which, as I recall, reportedly turned up in the same place at the same time decades ago. It is extremely unlikely that any more will be found. This variety exhibits clear, crisp doubling on "LIBERTY" and the motto "IN GOD WE TRUST", as on this photo from NGC VarietyPlus:

818837-1.jpg

On 7/19/2023 at 12:33 PM, Sandon said:

Your coin is definitely not, nor does it resemble, the extremely rare 1958 doubled die obverse cent, of which only three are known to exist and all of which, as I recall, reportedly turned up in the same place at the same time decades ago. It is extremely unlikely that any more will be found. This variety exhibits clear, crisp doubling on "LIBERTY" and the motto "IN GOD WE TRUST", as on this photo from NGC VarietyPlus

Only 3 ?????  Are people even aware of these limited numbers...they may think there are hundreds or even thousands ?  Or at least dozens.

All these "Is this coin the super-rare...." threads are like finding an old Lottery ticket that matches the latest MegaMillions or PowerBall numbers -- but the ticket is from weeks or months ago ! xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 7/19/2023 at 10:20 PM, powermad5000 said:

I see very very weak MD at best in the OP's cent.

Hmm, I see lighting artifacts and naught else.