• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1795 Draped Bust. Real or Counterfeit?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Well, it is made of the BB-51 Set Left variety. That said, the overall numbers and letters and stars are in the proper positions. The shape of the numerals in the date seem to be correct. The only reservation I have is when I start to look at the details of the hair, even for a coin with what I would consider light wear, there are some elements missing in the hair that those elements would still be there with light wear, so I am leaning towards counterfeit. A pretty good one, but I think it's fake. We will have to see what the others say.

Where did you acquire this coin and for how much? What are the measurements? It should measure 39-40mm. What is the weight? It should be about 26.96g

Also, the 1795 Draped Bust has a lettered edge which I cannot see in the photos. Does yours have lettering on the edge?

*There are just two die marriages for 1795 Draped Bust Dollars, and each utilized unique obverse and reverse dies. The supposed first emission is BB-51, on which the portrait is noticeably offset to the left. BB-52 features the portrait centered, as on all subsequent coins of this type. Interestingly, the reverse die used for BB-51 survived to be used again several times with dollars dated 1796, 1797 and 1798. It may be that the reverse used for BB-52 failed quickly, as it's not seen with any other date, and this variety is the scarcer of the two for 1795. While most survivors are worn to varying degrees, there were a number of 1795 Draped Bust Dollars preserved at the time in Mint State. The majority of these are of the BB-51 marriage, further reinforcing the belief that this variety was coined first and thus provided the keepsake pieces.

*Excerpt from NGC Coin Explorer.

@powermad5000--This topic is a duplicate post. The coin was being offered for sale online by someone else who reduced the price to a nominal amount and sold it after the OP requested better photos. It is likely a counterfeit modeled from a genuine BB-51. See the other topic:

Here is a genuine example of the variety, if that will be any help. I don't like the piece at all. I can't see how something which has that much detail would have that much damage. You really should post shots that "straight down" and not shot at an angle. 

1795 Off Center Bust All.jpg