• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help
1 1

8 posts in this topic

The dime has just been damaged by heat.  The heat causes the clad layer to separate from the copper core and bubble up.  The Indian head cent unfortunately has been cleaned, which hurts the value but is still worth a couple dollars.  The 1943 cent has been replated, which pretty much kills any collector value, a few cents or so. Looks like some of the plating on the reverse of the 1943 has come off or been removed.

Edited by l.cutler

On 7/18/2023 at 1:33 AM, l.cutler said:

The dime has just been damaged by heat.  The heat causes the clad layer to separate from the copper core and bubble up.  The Indian head cent unfortunately has been cleaned, which hurts the value but is still worth a couple dollars.  The 1943 cent has been replated, which pretty much kills any collector value, a few cents or so. Looks like some of the plating on the reverse of the 1943 has come off or been removed.

Both pennies were pulled from sealed $25 box of pennies from the 60s would that change anything? Thank you so much for the knowledge 🙏 

The dime is badly damaged, I don't think by heat but by from a blow to the obverse which I see pushed some of the metal back into the reverse. 

The 1904 Indian Cent is worn, and I agree with @l.cutler appears to have been cleaned. With a mintage of 61,326,198 there are many specimens available that are in mint state and rich in red color so as that coin stands, it is maybe worth a couple dollars.

The 1943 Steel Lincoln Wheat cent looks like it might be low end MS or more likely AU but I think was improperly cleaned on the obverse and the reverse seems to have the look of someone starting to polish it due to the toning which either way has ruined the original surface of the coin.

From a collecting standpoint, it does not matter if you paid $1,000 for the coins from a special private collection. The coins themselves are in the condition they are in and subject to demand and market price as any other coin is. These coins are definitely not worth submitting, especially at the costs charged nowadays by TPG's. The holder would be worth more than the coin inside it.