• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin flips
1 1

11 posts in this topic

yeah the finster is correct if you can't find it at wizard  they probably dont make it.!

Edited by JT2
spell

Be careful using plastic double-pocket flips (popular with dealers) for other than short-term storage, which can have various pitfalls for the different types.  Most don't have pvc anymore, but that results is a more rigid plastic flip.  And rough handling can cause contact marks at high points called "flip rub", particularly with tight fitting flips or the more rigid flips which tend to also crack more easily.

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/1445/coin-holders-contain-PVC/

https://www.pcgs.com/News/Examining-Contact-Marks-On-Coins

https://www.govmint.com/coin-authority/post/the-best-coin-holders-to-protect-your-collection

It's why I only use capsules (similar to the ones used by mints) or after-market slabs (similar to the ones used by TPG's) for storing my raw coins, after carefully removing them from the flips they are usually in when sold.

P.S. I also use albums for storing circulated coins found from searching pocket change or roll hunting, and even though they generally are circulated coins I carefully insert the nicer ones to ensure they are not sticking above the cardboard when I insert the plastic sheet over the top to avoid something called album "slide marks". 

Edited by EagleRJO

On 7/17/2023 at 7:56 PM, EagleRJO said:

Be careful using plastic double-pocket flips (popular with dealers) for other than short-term storage, which can have various pitfalls for the different types.  Most don't have pvc anymore, but that results is a more rigid plastic flip.  And rough handling can cause contact marks at high points called "flip rub", particularly with tight fitting flips or the more rigid flips which tend to also crack more easily.

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/1445/coin-holders-contain-PVC/

https://www.pcgs.com/News/Examining-Contact-Marks-On-Coins

https://www.govmint.com/coin-authority/post/the-best-coin-holders-to-protect-your-collection

It's why I only use capsules (similar to the ones used by mints) or after-market slabs (similar to the ones used by TPG's) for storing my raw coins, after carefully removing them from the flips they are usually in when sold.

Oh, there's plenty of vinyl-containing flips still out there. Sniff them. If they "smell like plastic", stay away from them. Run!!

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/18/2023 at 4:43 PM, VKurtB said:

there's plenty of vinyl-containing flips still out there

I don't use them for storage, but I thought that most of the newer ones nowadays were either mylar (e.g. Saflip which has no vinyl but are harder) or non-plasticized vinyl (i.e. no pvc, but again harder), like the vinyl ones sold by Wizard.

The NGC webpage linked above mentions "acetate flips" as a compromise for shipping or short-term storage, but I am not sure which ones those are.  I have a few 2-1/2 x 2-1/2 double-pocket flips from larger dealers I kept in case I needed them for shipping, and they are somewhat flexible without that pvc smell.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 7/18/2023 at 3:50 PM, EagleRJO said:

I don't use them for storage, but I thought that most of the newer ones nowadays were either mylar (e.g. Saflip which has no vinyl but are harder) or non-plasticized vinyl (i.e. no pvc, but again harder), like the vinyl ones sold by Wizard.

The NGC webpage linked above mentions "acetate flips" as a compromise for shipping or short-term storage, but I am not sure which ones those are.  I have a few 2-1/2x2-1/2 double-pocket flips from larger dealers I kept in case I needed them for shipping, and they are somewhat flexible without that pvc smell.

I *DO* use actual Saflips for long term storage, BUT it is important to handle them as little as possible. They are prone to coin scratching if handed excessively. I do use fresh soft flips in a nice small Abafil case for temporary TRANSPORT home from a coin show. Then the holder of choice depends on the coin. There is no one "correct" holder for every coin. My Early American coppers, and large foreign coppers, go in cotton pouches and 2x2 manilla envelopes. High end silver goes either in Saflips or capsules, depending if I have the right size capsule. I don't like gaskets with capsules, so I avoid them. I don't trust gaskets to not emit gasses. (And they shouldn't trust ME not to outgas, either. :roflmao:) Most other metals go in cardboard 2x2's, or in pre-started albums (Dansco brown.) Coins being used as part of a competitive exhibit go in either NGC slabs (the OTHER slab makes ugly shadows from the overhead lights) or in carefully sized capsules. Aluminum has its own properties which are the subject of my current study for the best storage. Right now, I use Saflips for "keeper" aluminum, such as North Korean, Romanian, and pre- and post-war nicer issues. By the way, North Korea has made some compelling larger aluminum coins. The mixture of wildlife and Communist iconography is quite striking.

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/18/2023 at 6:18 PM, VKurtB said:

Saflips for long term storage ...

I understand those Mylar "Saflips" may be best for longer term storage if you go that route even though they are more brittle, and I think that is the type of 2-1/2 x 2-1/2 flips I held onto.  They tend to easily crack if bent back-and-fourth repeatedly with no smell.

But I still don't trust them not to cause flip rub since they are less flexible, even if carefully handled, and for other than album coins I tend to gravitate towards larger coins which are a tighter fit in the 2-1/2 x 2-1/2 Saflips which I think is the largest size.

I also avoid those slab or capsule gaskets (off-gassing by them or me isn't good (:), and buy holders specifically made for the coins being stored.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 7/18/2023 at 5:43 PM, EagleRJO said:

I understand those Mylar "Saflips" may be best for longer term storage if you go that route even though they are more brittle, and I think that is the type of 2-1/2 x 2-1/2 flips I held onto.  They tend to easily crack if bent back-and-fourth repeatedly with no smell.

But I still don't trust them not to cause flip rub since they are less flexible, even if carefully handled, and for other than album coins I tend to gravitate towards larger coins which are a tighter fit in the 2-1/2 x 2-1/2 Saflips which I think is the largest size.

I also avoid those slab or capsule gaskets (off-gassing by them or me isn't good (:), and buy holders specifically made for the coins being stored.

The 2.5x2.5 flips that NGC uses at their tables, and sell directly to collectors are more “flexy” than Saflip (E&T) brand flips, but I have not yet encountered at retail any OTHER source for the NGC style ones. There are those containing too many plasticizers and those too stiff and “crispy”. The Goldilocks zone is small. When I find a suitable alternative, I’ll holler. Until then, I use the ones at NGC’s booth, with E&T Saflips as a Plan B.

On 7/19/2023 at 4:34 AM, VKurtB said:

... I have not yet encountered at retail any OTHER source for the NGC style ones

The CCG Store has the NGC coin flips, which may be the "acetate" coin flips referenced in the NGC webpage linked above as a compromise between length of storage and flexibility.  I don't think they are archival quality intended for longer term use like the more rigid mylar Saflips.

Anyway, I will stick with albums (circulated coins), tight fitting capsules (e.g. Air-Tite) or TPG style slabs (e.g. PCCB) for long term storage due to the pitfalls of using double-pocket flips.

Holder - NGC Coin Flips.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 7/19/2023 at 4:52 PM, EagleRJO said:

The CCG Store has the NGC coin flips, which may be the "acetate" coin flips referenced in the NGC webpage linked above as a compromise between length of storage and flexibility.  I don't think they are archival quality intended for longer term use like the more rigid mylar Saflips.

Anyway, I will stick with albums (circulated coins), tight fitting capsules (e.g. Air-Tite) or TPG style slabs (e.g. PCCB) for long term storage due to the pitfalls of using double-pocket flips.

Holder - NGC Coin Flips.jpg

These are great for their intended purpose and I have a bag of these. The purpose? For sending coins in for grading.