• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

cleaned vs stained
1 1

12 posts in this topic

hello everyone.  I have seen a lot of cleaned details grades but never a stained details.  this coin was rated UNC STAINED so I am going to assume that is a pretty good grade being UNC but beside a nice collection piece, I am assuming no way to sell it or get any sort of value?  Any help would be appreciated.

stained liberty1.jpg

stained liberty2.jpg

I'm a newbie when it comes to coin collecting but I wouldn't buy this coin. When it comes to coin collecting you want coins that are as close to perfection as possible not damaged or stained. To be honest I'm working on two sets currently with one being a set of NGC graded MS64 Peace Dollars. Hope this helps.

Irregular or blotchy discoloration of this sort is sometimes referred to as "staining" by both NGC and PCGS. NGC classifies it as an "environmental effect" and defines it as follows:  "STAINED coins display discoloration but not corrosion. More often than not such staining is irremovable. When isolated to one side, it is described as OBV STAINED or REV STAINED."  See NGC Details Grading | NGC (ngccoin.com).

1923 Peace dollars are abundantly common except in "gem" (65 or higher) uncirculated grades, and one that is impaired like this one probably isn't saleable for more than $25-$30.

On 7/15/2023 at 6:58 PM, Sandon said:

Irregular or blotchy discoloration of this sort is sometimes referred to as "staining" by both NGC and PCGS. NGC classifies it as an "environmental effect" and defines it as follows:  "STAINED coins display discoloration but not corrosion. More often than not such staining is irremovable. When isolated to one side, it is described as OBV STAINED or REV STAINED."  See NGC Details Grading | NGC (ngccoin.com).

1923 Peace dollars are abundantly common except in "gem" (65 or higher) uncirculated grades, and one that is impaired like this one probably isn't saleable for more than $25-$30.

The coin in the OP's post is a 1928 Peace Dollar but it is kinda difficult to see the date.

On 7/15/2023 at 7:08 PM, Tony Follis said:

The coin in the OP's post is a 1928 Peace Dollar but it is kinda difficult to see the date.

It's definitely a 1923, with the same nearly closed "3" used on all 1923 Peace dollars. The OP presumably has a photo of the entire holder and can confirm this.   I created a cropped blowup of the date area, which came out small due to poor resolution, but you should be able to see that it is a "3":

image.png.2b494149803f65e2d51476b02c7a4a77.png

The 1928 dated coins features an "8" whose top loop appears narrower than on the "3", as well as having other numerals with slightly different shapes, and looks like this:

1928silverdollarobv.(2).jpg.69b6532f3f22e746c445fd4870f13ffa.jpg

You don't want to confuse these two dates on Peace dollars!

On 7/15/2023 at 8:16 PM, Sandon said:

It's definitely a 1923, with the same nearly closed "3" used on all 1923 Peace dollars. The OP presumably has a photo of the entire holder and can confirm this.   I created a cropped blowup of the date area, which came out small due to poor resolution, but you should be able to see that it is a "3":

image.png.2b494149803f65e2d51476b02c7a4a77.png

The 1928 dated coins features an "8" whose top loop appears narrower than on the "3", as well as having other numerals with slightly different shapes, and looks like this:

1928silverdollarobv.(2).jpg.69b6532f3f22e746c445fd4870f13ffa.jpg

You don't want to confuse these two dates on Peace dollars!

Thanks for correcting and showing me the difference in the dates. Here's my NGC MS64 1923 P Peace Dollar.IMG_20230714_0050012.thumb.jpg.30a832a45304d67d45e74a559dc34599.jpg

On 7/15/2023 at 7:08 PM, Tony Follis said:

I agree with Sandon it's a 1923 Peace Dollar.  I also agree that it's probably not worth more than $25 to $30, if that with such a badly stained reverse.

On 7/15/2023 at 9:03 PM, EagleRJO said:

I agree with Sandon it's a 1923 Peace Dollar.  I also agree that it's probably not worth more than $25 to $30, if that with such a badly stained reverse.

I can clearly see the date of the OP's coin in the picture that Sandon took but I couldn't clearly see the date of the coin in the picture that the OP took.

On 7/15/2023 at 7:46 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Almost looks like a piece of fabric was placed over the coin, or it was wrapped in one.

Canvas bag?

For the OP's question, there are many designations a coin receives giving it a details grade. Cleaned, Improperly cleaned, Environmental Damage, Spot Removed, Polished, Whizzed, Bent, Rim Damage, Altered Color (Altered Surface will not get graded) Wheel Mark, Scratched, Shipwreck Effect, Damaged, Repaired, Tooled, Holed, Chopmarks, and Mount Removed.

Imho, its remaining value is subject to the level of damage and the remaining eye appeal. A coin that has been very lightly cleaned and still has eye appeal will have more value than a coin that was whizzed. It is almost impossible to assign a value to a details coin as it depends on finding a buyer who wants the coin with the defect. A rule of thumb I use is lightly impaired coins that still have some eye appeal will drop the price to a grade level two below the label (meaning UNC details will probably sell at XF values if you find a buyer for it, XF details down to VG prices, etc.) For coins with heavy damage, it may be either impossible to find a buyer for it or if you are able to, expect the buyer to pay AG prices.

Also imho, only key date coins with very low mintages will still be able to fetch some decent money near its label grade despite an impairment. Even a key date, though, with an impairment will still not command anywhere near the premium it could get without the damage.

On a common Peace Dollar like you have in the photos you submitted, I would expect a buyer to pay close to melt value with the level of eye appeal left remaining as well as there are just too many high end specimens with cartwheel luster available in the marketplace for someone to offer much for it.

Edited by powermad5000