• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WANTED! DEAD OR ALIVE
2 2

14 posts in this topic

FRENCH 20-FRANC GOLD ROOSTER  (Or Coq Marianne)

KM: 857. F-535. Gadoury: 1064a 

FDC  MS (65 -70);  NGC / PCGS-CERTIFIED:  MS-67 or 67+

1910  or. 1913. or  1914.

Are these the only years? I will be in Paris on September 18-21. I have four shops on my list already. If I find a gaudy grade candidate that is raw, I’ll send it in to whichever service you desire, and if it makes your standard, it’s yours. Otherwise, I’ll keep it. You’ve been very good to me.

Edited by VKurtB

I am gratified to report I have accepted the generous offer of personal assistance from @VKurtB who is evidently acutely aware of the astronomical odds of locating a raw top pop coin. After acquiring such a coin that was deemed to be an FDC, aaFrench range that embraces the U.S. equivalent of the range of grades from MS-65 to MS-70, inclusive -- at considerable cost -- it was submitted and accorded an MS-64+ grade on the West Coast. Today, I received another tip apparently from a private party who offered to forward my search request to two sources unknown to me for consideration. Naturally, I accepted.

On 7/22/2023 at 3:52 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I am gratified to report I have accepted the generous offer of personal assistance from @VKurtB who is evidently acutely aware of the astronomical odds of locating a raw top pop coin. After acquiring such a coin that was deemed to be an FDC, aaFrench range that embraces the U.S. equivalent of the range of grades from MS-65 to MS-70, inclusive -- at considerable cost -- it was submitted and accorded an MS-64+ grade on the West Coast. Today, I received another tip apparently from a private party who offered to forward my search request to two sources unknown to me for consideration. Naturally, I accepted.

Your quest is noble.

On 11/2/2023 at 11:50 AM, Rykel said:

Are you looking for something like this?

IMG_20231102_114652.jpg

IMG_20231102_114702.jpg

No, see the very first post above for the particulars.

Thank you for your interest.

You have a very lovely coin!

WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE!  

FRENCH 20-FRANC GOLD ROOSTER  (or Coq Marianne)

1910, and/or 1914   PCGS-CERTIFIED MS-67 / MS-67+

[KM: 857;   F-535;  GADOURY: 1064a]

Edited by Henri Charriere
Rendering post in bold type, for added emphasis.

Posted (edited)
On 7/9/2023 at 7:15 PM, Henri Charriere said:

FDC  MS (65 -70); PCGS-CERTIFIED:  MS-67 or 67+The

1910  or  1914.⅗

Due to circumstances beyond my control, no purchase of any gold rooster can be made until PCGS has resolved the matter of what constitutes a "Refrappe" (French, for "Restrike") with scientific certification certainty.

At present, the years 1907-1914, in both the MS-67  (and MS-66) grades appear on the PCGS population report in three (3) distinct columns.

The first is comprised of coins which have yet to be scrutinized numismatically;

The second is comprised of coins which have been determined to have been minted on the year as shown, beyond a shadow of a doubt.  As of August 1, 2024, NONE have been so certified;

The third column is comprised of coins which have been proven to have been "restruck" NOT on the year depicted, but at some later date: 1921 or during the years between the 1950's and 1960's -- to a scientific certainty to all.

Accordingly, this Want List (or Wish List) is withdrawn until such time as all parties know what the hell they are talking about.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Die polishing

Note to File:

While I have since acquired a 1913 PCGS-graded MS-67 and dutifully ADDED it to my Set Registry, it has yet to appear, one (1) week later, this despite the fact that a TPGS (PCGS) certified it, in their Paris Office, as a Refrappe, or Restrike matching the composite. So what's the hold-up?  I inquired three times and thrice got no response.

Consequently, it is highly unlikely the tactic I have resorted to here (a reward) will be successful.  The pickings in the rarefied atmosphere of the Upper Mint State range are slim.

When that 1913 gold rooster, acquired at considerable personal risk to me, is installed, I will be ready to consider prospective offerings.  Until then, stay tuned.

FRENCH 20-FRANCS  GOLD ROOSTER ( Or Coq Marianne)

1910 and/or 1914. PCGS MS-67  FDC (MS-65 to MS-70)

On 8/2/2024 at 12:30 AM, Henri Charriere said:

Due to circumstances beyond my control, no purchase of any gold rooster can be made until PCGS has resolved the matter of what constitutes a "Refrappe" (French, for "Restrike") with scientific certification certainty.

At present, the years 1907-1914, in both the MS-67  (and MS-66) grades appear on the PCGS population report in three (3) distinct columns.

The first is comprised of coins which have yet to be scrutinized numismatically;

The second is comprised of coins which have been determined to have been minted on the year as shown, beyond a shadow of a doubt.  As of August 1, 2024, NONE have been so certified;

The third column is comprised of coins which have been proven to have been "restruck" NOT on the year depicted, but at some later date: 1921 or during the years between the 1950's and 1960's -- to a scientific certainty to all.

Accordingly, this Want List (or Wish List) is withdrawn until such time as all parties know what the hell they are talking about.

FDC  MS (65 -70);  PCGS-CERTIFIED:  MS-67 or 67+

1910 and/or  1914.

FDC  MS (65 -70);   PCGS-CERTIFIED:  MS-67 or 67+

1910  and / or  1914.