• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2009 D penny
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.   

As @Just Bob just stated, the 2009 and 2009-D Lincoln Bicentennial cents are only worth face value in circulated condition, and large quantities of uncirculated coins were put away by dealers and collectors at the time of issue.  None that you would find in circulation is likely to have any premium value for the foreseeable future.

As a new collector, you may benefit from the following topic describing print and online resources that will enable you to learn how to identify and value U.S. coins:

On 7/7/2023 at 10:04 PM, Sandon said:

Welcome to the NGC chat board.   

As @Just Bob just stated, the 2009 and 2009-D Lincoln Bicentennial cents are only worth face value in circulated condition, and large quantities of uncirculated coins were put away by dealers and collectors at the time of issue.  None that you would find in circulation is likely to have any premium value for the foreseeable future.

As a new collector, you may benefit from the following topic describing print and online resources that will enable you to learn how to identify and value U.S. coins:

I have more uncirculated solid rolls of all four 2009 designs than I care to admit. Hoarding ruins value. Which is ironic because hoarding makes coins SEEM scarce, without actually being scarce. It’s a frequently repeated theme.  

I have a full roll (minus one) of this coin. The roll was all MS uncirculated and the one I selected to submit to NGC came back as MS 66 RD. In the price guide, it currently shows $15 in that grade, which means the slab is worth more than the coin in the slab. The "other side of the coin" so to speak is that people are not paying $15 for the coin in the slab in that grade. You would be lucky to find a buyer to give you $10 (with free shipping to boot).

Without good, clear, cropped photos of your coin, I cannot say for sure what it might grade out as, but I can bet if you pulled it from circulation, it will not grade out at MS 66 RD. More like 65 or even 64.

These new designs were saved by the roll in pristine condition by collectors when they came out from the Mint as the Memorial Reverse had not changed from 1959-2008 so it caused some excitement for collectors to save the new 4 designs. There are plenty of high end specimens for collectors to choose from and as with most modern coin issues, the grades need to be getting into the 67-68 range for collectors to begin to pay any kind of a premium for them.

Thanks for reminding me to pick up a new Dansco shield cent album at the FUN show this weekend.  i havent had the time to assemble these one yet.