• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reasons for replacing Flying Eagle cent design

9 posts in this topic

I have read that there were striking issues due to the design, but the coin had only been in production for a couple of years when this was written. Was there already a plan to replace the Flying Eagle at this time, or was this a new idea being presented by Snowden?

I suspect there was discussion from the Coiner right from the beginning of 1857 production. The alloy was harder to work and coin than anything the US Mint had used in the past. Reducing relief was a good excuse for yielding to public complains.

First and foremost, I appreciate as always, your sharing with the membership the results of your latest excavations wherever conducted. Having said that, and after consulting various sources on the internet, I find myself at odds with Director Snowden's comments.  Before the Flying Eagles, there were Large Cents apparently.minted from copper unalloyed with other metals. Oddly, Snowden makes no mention of any of the patterns which, according to one source, were minted as patterns from 1854! to 1856. The Flying Eagle Cents were comprised of 88% Cu and 12% nickel.  High relief aside, what was learned and, more importantly, what was tweaked?  The Director waits until the 11th hour to inform the Secretary of the Treasurer that the production of a new line of cents is imminent. Contrary to his bold assertions to the contrary, the FE Cent was well-received and very popular.  Later still, with the introduction of the IHC, the composition was changed again to 95% Cu, 5% zinc/tin. For collectors unfamiliar with the series, the FE is universally liked as an example of a coin uncluttered with mottos and verbiage such as LIBERTY, IGWT and E. PLURIBUS UNUM.  Its timeless beauty resides in its simplicity: USA (spelled out) the DATE and DENOMINATION..In all fairness, this letter is likely one of many pieces of correspondence exchanged between Philadelphia and Washington. 

The 1857 Flying Eagle Cent, from my limited reading and knowledge, seems to be historic because it replaced a long-standing larger copper variety and also ushered in many new coin collectors, is that correct ?

On 7/3/2023 at 2:30 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

"Unite" States of America ? 

Was that a typo on Snowden's part or yours ?

That was my very own, original, copyright typo, which has since been "adjusted for clarity."

;)

On 7/3/2023 at 2:33 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

The 1857 Flying Eagle Cent, from my limited reading and knowledge, seems to be historic because it replaced a long-standing larger copper variety and also ushered in many new coin collectors, is that correct ?

Yep. It also began the US coinage concept that convenience was more important to consumers than intrinsic value when dealing with non-specie coins. This had developed from public acceptance of copper tokens in Britain, etc. and US tokens used as coin substitutes in 1837 and later.