• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel mark where?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

On 7/1/2023 at 10:48 PM, xinfantry said:

I am wondering where the grader thought there was wheel marks on the obverse of this coin. I believe it should have gotten a straight grade.

I also would like to know how to resubmit this morgan to get another go around with the graders.

Screenshot_20230630_090030_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230630_090010_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230630_085652_Chrome.png

Maybe where the nose is if you look closely enough. My vision isn't what it used to be.

Wheel marks are very difficult to locate in a static photo, you have to turn the coin in a proper light to find the hairlines that are left from a wheel mark.   NGC has a nice section that explains wheel marks and how to find them.

Wheel mark education

As to your question, "I also would like to know how to resubmit this morgan to get another go around with the graders." that is simple.   Crack the coin out of the holder and resubmit the coin, however it is unlikely that you will achieve a different outcome.

I agree that it would be necessary to have the coin in hand to be able to determine where a wheel mark would be at, especially on this Morgan with substantial chatter on the face, neck, and some in the surrounding fields.

As for resubmission of the coin, you do not need to crack the coin out of the holder. NGC will unholder the coin for you. It has to be its own single submission, however, and cannot be lumped in with other coins on the submission. Leave it in the holder and check the box for regrade. Again, it has to be the only coin on the submission form unless you are sending back other slabs for regrading. In this way, NGC can delete the original submission number and any images of the original submission.

Edited by powermad5000

hooah @xinfantry  the @Coinbuf is correct yo find the wheel marks you need to tilt the coin at an angle to the light so that you start to see where the dullness from the rub is.   and like they say you can either crack it out and resubmit or leave it in the holder and go for a reconsideration.  

You can view higher resolution photos at the cert page here ... https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/6690286-002/NGCDetails/

Coinbuf posted a good link to an NGC page about wheel marks.  Looks like an area to check with different lighting is around the chin and cheek where the chatter may be partially obscuring the wheel marks.

1879-S Morgan OP.jpg

If I remember correctly, mechanical counters were not used at the Mints until.  the 1920s. Treasury and Sub-Treasuries used them beginning around 1910.... A fresh-looking silver dollar with "wheel marks" is possibly one that was in the Treasury clear out and might have been purchased, picked over and returned several times. Each time, it was subject to mechanical counting and bagging.