• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2009 LP4, 2 roll boxed set from the Mint-Die gouge?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Bought a 2 roll boxed set from the mint-in white box-many have the dreaded black grease spots on them- The one pictured has a gouge from left to right-Is this a mint error or spend it? thanks

WIN_20230701_17_44_28_Pro.jpg

WIN_20230701_17_44_39_Pro.jpg

WIN_20230701_17_44_54_Pro.jpg

WIN_20230701_17_45_57_Pro.jpg

WIN_20230701_17_46_31_Pro.jpg

WIN_20230701_17_46_36_Pro.jpg

Based upon the photos, which show no disturbance of the copper plating or displaced metal around the depression across Lincoln's bust, I think that this is an example of a type of mint error called a "strikethrough", which results from a foreign object, such as a bit of scrap metal, being on the die or planchet as the coin is struck. This creates a depression on the struck coin in the outline of the foreign object.  This type of error usually isn't valuable, but it is interesting. (A "die gouge" would result in a raised area on the coins struck from the die.)

I assume that none of the other coins in the roll shows this strikethrough. It is possible that the foreign object was present for one strike or for multiple strikes, as on the much older cents about which I wrote in the following topic:

On 7/1/2023 at 9:31 PM, Lee Coen said:

Love finding errors on cents...but who knows? Thanks

I'm currently working on a set of burnished ASE's that have already been pre graded NGC MS70. Once I finish that I plan on buying some gold coins. 

On 7/1/2023 at 6:50 PM, Sandon said:

Based upon the photos, which show no disturbance of the copper plating or displaced metal around the depression across Lincoln's bust, I think that this is an example of a type of mint error called a "strikethrough", which results from a foreign object, such as a bit of scrap metal, being on the die or planchet as the coin is struck. This creates a depression on the struck coin in the outline of the foreign object.  This type of error usually isn't valuable, but it is interesting. (A "die gouge" would result in a raised area on the coins struck from the die.)

I assume that none of the other coins in the roll shows this strikethrough. It is possible that the foreign object was present for one strike or for multiple strikes, as on the much older cents about which I wrote in the following topic:

Thanks, only cent in the roll with this issue...

Are there any areas in the mark that are silver in color?   The photos are not the best but it seems that close to the VDB at the center of the mark it looks silver like the zinc core is showing thru.   If that is the case then a simple scratch is the most likely answer.

On 7/1/2023 at 7:37 PM, Coinbuf said:

Are there any areas in the mark that are silver in color?   The photos are not the best but it seems that close to the VDB at the center of the mark it looks silver like the zinc core is showing thru.   If that is the case then a simple scratch is the most likely answer.

nope, just as seen, not a simple scratch.

On 7/1/2023 at 7:58 PM, Lee Coen said:

nope, just as seen, not a simple scratch.

Propblem is that the photos are not good enough, when I attempt to zoom in on my phone the photo gets too pixilated to be of any value.   It might be a strikethrough or it may not, can you provide any high resolution photos of just the mark itself.

I am not exactly sure if there is a strike through error on this coin. To me, the lines on the right side of the flap on Lincoln's suit look like linear plating bubbles. I want to say to the left side of the flap on Lincoln's suit would be a strikethrough error for a piece of wire, BUT, I note one other small line near the rim under the larger line. What are the chances that a mint error for a struck through piece of wire took a small hit right under that area that is perfectly parallel to the potential strikethrough?? I am going to say the graders would cast this coin as physically damaged.

I don't think the mark is from either a scratch or heavy hit.  There is no evidence of the zinc core showing or evidence of any displaced metal on either side of the mark, like there would be if it was a scratch or heavy hit (i.e. similar to earth from a farmer's plow).  Also, if it was a scratch or heavy hit you would expect the higher areas of Lincoln's coat around the lapel would have a deeper mark, but that is not the case as it appears the mark is deeper on either side of the coat lapel.

Accordingly, it does appear to be some type of a struck-through error, although I'm not sure about a piece of wire the way it looks below the date, unless perhaps that end of the wire bounced or rolled a bit when being struck.  Better pics in that area below the date might be helpful.

P.S. For a struck-through to have any value it needs to be established what was struck thru, which still seems to be somewhat of a mystery.

Edited by EagleRJO

If NGC cannot determine what the object that was that the coin was struck through, they will just label the slab as MINT ERROR - STRUCK THROUGH. I have a lot of graded strike through errors and they all simply state Mint Error - Struck Through.