• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1882/1882 fs302 Shield Nickel? Looks like a 3
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hey everyone Ty very much for your help. My question is tgis 1882 shield which was originally in a Stacks Marina Flip when I got. 
my receipt from the auction said “US 1882 5c Shield Nickel” MS63 Unc”.

There is nothing about the date 1882 being RPD Or anything. However the 1882 is definitely hiding a mystery. It appears to have an 3 (ludicrous I know) under the 2. Here’s the best pics or pic y’all. Ty everyone! really thank you so much 

IMG_1651.jpeg

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

It would be helpful if you could post cropped photos of the entire obverse and reverse of the coin, as there could be die markers on areas other than the date that would aid in identification. Your photos of the date area do not appear to match any of the varieties for 1882 Shield nickels on NGC VarietyPlus or PCGS Coinfacts for which photos are available. (Perhaps another forum member will have access to a publication or website with photos of additional varieties.) See Shield Five Cents (1866-1883) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com), 1882 5C (Regular Strike) Shield Nickel - PCGS CoinFacts (click on "Show Related coins and Varieties").

As the U.S. Mint hand punched dates into each die until about 1908, there are many varieties that show evidence of repunching or other artifacts of the die making process, including unlisted ones. The "2" in your coin's date doesn't appear to have been punched over a different digit.

The arrows seem to point to a stain or discoloration, not a "3" undertype. Also, the more common situation would be 3 over 2, not 2 over 3.

On 6/30/2023 at 11:07 AM, Janicesellshomes said:

It appears to have an 3 (ludicrous I know) under the 2

I agree it would be ludicrous to have an 1882/3, and there is no indication that the second 8 was repunched.  So, it's likely just a few die chips around the 2, as dies from that year were completely worn out from overuse.