• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAC Stickering Submission Back
1 1

12 posts in this topic

On 6/29/2023 at 5:11 AM, Tyrock said:

My submission is on the way back. Seven of my eleven coins I sent in received a sticker and one was my first gold sticker. The gold sticker was on a type 3 1874 gold dollar. There has been some confusion on the facts surrounding the 20 coins that can be graded annually under the old tier, so I will merely present the facts.

Sent in 20 coins 11 of which were mine

19 were reviewed under the old $16.00 economy status and my final invoice reflected the $16.00 per coin charge (not the submission form).

The old economy deal for existing members is $16.00 per coin, but with a maximum value of $3,000 per coin as per the new guidelines. The old economy tier was $16.00, but with a higher maximum value of $10,000 per coin.

One of the coins I submitted was a Saint valued at $4500.00 so it was reviewed under the new express tier price of $68.00. It did not sticker so there was a charge of $61 ($68 minus the 25% rebate) and a separate $10 handling fee.

One other point is that if you have private insurance, it must cover the whole amount of the return shipment, or you have to pay for CAC's insurance. My private insurance did not cover the whole return shipping fee, so I had to use their insurance instead. 

Per the guidelines, I still have the option of submitting one more coin this year under the old $16.00 economy tier, but it has to be valued at $3,000 or less. Once that 20th coin is submitted, any further economy submissions this year would be at the new $22.00 per coin rate with the new $3,000.00 maximum value per coin.

Did you receive the 100% rebate on the $16 coins that failed?

I was not charged for the  coins that did not sticker with the exception of the Saint that exceeded the $3000 value limit and was not allowed as an economy submission.

On 6/29/2023 at 8:11 AM, Tyrock said:

and a separate $10 handling fee.

With this fee does your Unc coin come back to you as "AU?" Handling does that, ya know....

;)

On 6/29/2023 at 8:11 AM, Tyrock said:

One of the coins I submitted was a Saint valued at $4500.00 so it was reviewed under the new express tier price of $68.00. It did not sticker so there was a charge of $61 ($68 minus the 25% rebate) and a separate $10 handling fee.

I'd be interested in knowing the Saint details, and maybe pics ?  (thumbsu

Congrats on your sticker success ! (thumbsu 

I'm learning on how to post pictures, but so far, I'm not there yet. I agree that the information I acquired about this CAC process was hard to obtain and not well defined. 

As to the Saints, 6 were submitted and none received a sticker. I've heard that CAC is tough on Saints, and it seems to be true. They were:

1914 S PCGS 63

1924 PCGS 64

1908 NM NGC 65

1925 NGC 65

1927 PCGS 65+

1925 PCGS 66

On 6/30/2023 at 6:52 AM, Tyrock said:

I'm learning on how to post pictures, but so far, I'm not there yet. I agree that the information I acquired about this CAC process was hard to obtain and not well defined. 

As to the Saints, 6 were submitted and none received a sticker. I've heard that CAC is tough on Saints, and it seems to be true. They were:

1914 S PCGS 63

1924 PCGS 64

1908 NM NGC 65

1925 NGC 65

1927 PCGS 65+

1925 PCGS 66

...when u consider just how many thousands of unc saints r out there n how few r really choice its not surprising that the sticker rates seem low...plus u factor in the known reputation on how baggy large heavy soft coins get from being banged around even though not in circulation n the percentages r not surprising...i assume u could determine just how many of each date have been certified in each grade n also how many have been stickered n come up with a spread sheet on probabilities of success...sounds like a great project for goldfinger1969....

On 6/30/2023 at 6:52 AM, Tyrock said:

I'm learning on how to post pictures

Just drag a JPG, PNG, TIF, BMP or other standard image file into your reply window.

A fleeting thought on stickering...

As a "Rising Star" -- NGC's characterization, not mine -- I have the benefit of having been around long enough to know who stands where on the matter of stickering.

Recently, I viewed a marvelous compilation of coins painstakingly put together over time by a much-esteemed member on his Set Registry. It was the first time I recall seeing what I call a hybrid, a mix of coins certified by two TPGS's.  It was peppered with a healthy dose of stickers.

Now here's the hard part: confiding in my first impression heretofore never articulated by any other member, to my knowledge. I could not help but feeling that sticker, which amounts to a pat on the back, unintentionally and inadvertently reduced the value of all the other coins displayed.  An unfair perception, perhaps, but one that developed over time.  Rankings on set registries differ from one TPGS to the next.  I would imagine the intent is to level the playing field for all players. There is another member's thinking that mirrors my own. He, like I, am partial to symmetry. Early on in my "short" set of gold rooster "restrikes" here at NGC, I hewed to a line: MS-66. Elsewhere, my "originals" settled primarily on MS-64 while my "restrikes" settled on MS-67, a high bar. Even if the two examples which graded at MS-68 were to surface, I would not deviate from my set course to accommodate them. I am simply curious as to their whereabouts.

Stickers?  Now, at my age? No, the fickle market of NO AVAILABILITY forced me into early retirement. With Paris in an uproar, if our globe-trotting member stumbles onto a lead, I will certainly jump on it because I implicitly trust his grading skills. 

I am told World Gold is now eligible for stickering. If an example he manages to find is so endowed at the lofty grade sought, I would acquire it.  In any event that is my thought on stickering, in much the same manner collectors insist on NGC slabs:  it's all or none.  Nothing I have "said" should in any way detract from the success achieved by the OP. His is an enviable result in the world of submissions.

It was probably worth the submission even with what you had to pay.  Clearly they are running a business to make money and have a lot of expenses to pay.  On the coin you valued high it may still have fit under a lower tier unless they require a retail valuation for tier submissions.  In the past with NGC and NCS, I've been allowed to enter a lower figure on valuation as they let you set that and charge you on a percentage basis for conservation.  I've spoken with them on this and it's no problem.