• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1869 Two Cent: guess the PCGS grade, if you'd like, off of lesser quality iPhone pics / ANSWER POSTED
2 2

12 posts in this topic

I see a Mint State coin.  Now comes the hard part.... a strong WE... a possible sulfur (carbon) spot... all things considered, a pristine coin... strong, well-defined denticles... I see a well-deserved MS-66, at a minimum. 

Based upon the photos, this 1869 two cent piece appears to be a proof striking, probably either brown or red and brown in color. It has no wear, but I could only guess at a numerical grade without being able to see the coin at different lighting angles.

She's a sweetie. That's as much as anyone gets from me with photos. Only one flaw I see. She appears to be in PCGS plastic. Remedy that.

Edited by VKurtB

On 6/28/2023 at 5:55 PM, VKurtB said:

She's a sweetie. That's as much as anyone gets from me with photos. Only one flaw I see. She appears to be in PCGS plastic. Remedy that.

Me thinketh you protesth too much! To remedy "that," entails costs and risk. And what if it fails to cross-grade? And what if it does, but despite all the costs, it is lost in transit, either going or coming?  Then what?  Exceptionally well-preserved coin!

Edited by Henri Charriere
Inapplicable, extraneous speculation

On 6/28/2023 at 8:08 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Me thinketh you protesth too much! To remedy "that," entails costs and risk. And what if it fails to cross-grade? And what if it does, but despite all the costs, it is lost in transit, either going or coming?  Then what?  Exceptionally well-preserved coin!

I just don't deal with the "four-letter word" grader.

Visuals may be subject to subjective opinions, but facts remain facts.  Under two headings, accessible to all members via the internet, are the following:

1869 2C RB (Proof) Two Cent -- CoinFacts, and 1869 2C PCGS/CAC PR64RB  Source: D.L. Rare Coins Grey Sheet.

Over 20 million of these coins were minted, 600 in Proof.

Several examples exist of the Proof strikes, some of which are featured on-line. I know what Red is supposed to look like and I know what Brown is supposed to look like. Red/Brown has elements of both. Neither of the photos accompanying the text posted on Google (one of which is PCGS-graded) remotely resemble the OP's example in color.  I dare say, no person chosen at random on the street, collector or not, would describe the example depicted as being Red, Brown, or a combination of both.  I assume by Proof is meant the matte and not mirror finish.  Nevertheless, in every respect, it is a rare, handsome find and a coin anyone would be proud to own.

On 6/30/2023 at 7:15 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Over 20 million of these coins were minted, 600 in Proof.

Per the "Redbook", the 1869 two cent piece had a reported circulation strike mintage of 1,546,500 pieces, and "600+" proofs. Only the 1864 had a mintage approaching 20 million pieces (19,822,500).