• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this coin a double stamp????
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I really don't know. I am definitely a newbie at this. I found this 1964 D penny in a roll of pennies from the bank. I almost threw it out probably like many did before me. Then I decided to take a closer look. Please take a look at my pics and tell me what you think.

52673a48-ab2e-44e1-939d-38928a80463d.jpg

3931dff5-d168-4f4c-95c7-2d8b5b4fa3d1.jpg

870995fa-2ca9-4896-b9a3-1d233b43fdf2.jpg

e60240a0-962d-41f7-b60b-292dc5696ad0.jpg

151f2564-ba10-47a3-ab9a-3f41c448d152.jpg

416706fc-f8b4-490a-97b3-b5aabbf11979.jpg

Welcome to the forum, no the coin is not double stamped, and the correct terminology would be double struck.   This is what is called a "vise job", another cent was pressed into this coin.   Often done with a bench vise tool (hence the name) but can be done a few different ways, notice how the letters are in reverse, that is how you know it is not a real error.   And yes this comes up often, in fact this very coin looks oddly familiar.

Thank you for the information. Sorry about my terminology. I will work on that. I am really interested in the world of the Error coin. I know it is not even close to the ILLUSTRIOUS world of proof collecting. ( If I had the funds I would definitely go that route. I am kind of hoping to get lucky, than the world of ACTUAL coin collecting may come into play. I am starting to indulge my self in finding more and more literature on the error subject. I will keep learning so I don't have to ask so many questions. I will definitely work on my terminology. The wording  needs to be correct or the outcome may be incorrect. I will be in touch if I have any  more viable questions on my choice of looking for a NEEDLE IN A HAYSTACK.

As others have indicated, this 1964-D cent appears to have been sandwiched between two other cents and squeezed together in a vise or otherwise compressed. A coin that was double struck at the mint would have two raised images facing the right way, not backwards, incuse (sunken) images. The coin has also been damaged in other ways.

To learn about mint errors and varieties, see the following resources:

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 1 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 2 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 3 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Variety vs. Mint Error | NGC (ngccoin.com)

For a comprehensive description of known error types, see error-ref.com.  Other useful sites include doubleddie.com and varietyvista.com.

I strongly recommend that you learn more about U.S. coins and the minting process generally. See the following topics on this forum:

Thank you for the information SIR. I do have one more question for you though, ohhh  GREAT COIN BARON!! I Seen on a site, TIK TOK to be more specific,that the 1982 D penny small date, if it is copper it may be worth upwards at $14,000.00. Also if a copper 1983 penny is worth a fortune even if it's not in totally pristine condition. How much of this is true? TICK TICK IS A CROCK.  I  think. I have only viewed it a couple times. Once to check it out and once when I seen a guy talking about error coins and what they are worth. I kow they are VERY FEW AND FAR BETWEEN  I have read the comments. A guy can dream cant he? 

You are correct on both counts, a copper 1982D small date is valuable but there are probably only   
about 6 or so in existence so don’t waste your time looking for one.

Also a 1983 copper cent has value as it supposed to be made of copper coated zinc but here again are rare.

On 6/24/2023 at 11:18 PM, RALF6464 said:

Thank you for the information. Sorry about my terminology. I will work on that. I am really interested in the world of the Error coin. I know it is not even close to the ILLUSTRIOUS world of proof collecting. ( If I had the funds I would definitely go that route. I am kind of hoping to get lucky, than the world of ACTUAL coin collecting may come into play. I am starting to indulge my self in finding more and more literature on the error subject. I will keep learning so I don't have to ask so many questions. I will definitely work on my terminology. The wording  needs to be correct or the outcome may be incorrect. I will be in touch if I have any  more viable questions on my choice of looking for a NEEDLE IN A HAYSTACK.

Might I suggest you also try (CONECA) Conecaonline.org. . There are many there sharing the error coin world.  

RE: "Is this coin a double stamp????"

Well, it might have been run over twice by a dump truck, but that's as close to a "double strike" as it ever got.

;)

On 6/25/2023 at 12:00 PM, RWB said:

RE: "Is this coin a double stamp????"

Well, it might have been run over twice by a dump truck, but that's as close to a "double strike" as it ever got.

;)

…or an 0-2 count, perhaps.