• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Uncirculated Roll Find - What Would Cause This Issue?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hello my trusted Coin Hunters and Numismatists! I wanted to get your opinion on a coin I found during a recent find I had from an uncirculated roll of 1975-P Lincoln Cents. In the roll, I came across a coin that appeared to have what looked like a brush stroke across the southeastern corner of the obverse. Being that the coin was from an uncirculated roll and the all the coins in the roll were in terrific mint state condition, this brush like blemish would seemingly come from the minting process or immediately following it's production. I wanted to share the photos and see if anyone has come across this and is willing to share what the likely cause might be. Take a look and I would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks in advance!

IMG-2643.jpg

1975 Lincoln 1C - Brushed Stroke - 20230622.JPG

1975 Lincoln 1C - Brushed Stroke 2 - 20230622.JPG

With the marks being on the rim, field and devices, I would say it is some sort of PMD.  
Even uncirculated coins can get damaged along there journey from being struck to being rolled.

I concur, PMD looks like counting machine damage to me (often called wheel marks).   Let me add that I think your plan of attack; "Being that the coin was from an uncirculated roll and the all the coins in the roll were in terrific mint state condition, this brush like blemish would seemingly come from the minting process or immediately following it's production" is not the best approach.   When you find something that looks different you should be assuming that it is only PMD unless you can prove that it happened during production.   Remember the mint is a high speed production facility, coins minted for circulation are not given even a modest level of careful handling.   And once the coins are shipped out of the mint they are subjected to more rough handling and the use of counting machines which can also impart marks and damage.

In order to identify real errors vs damage you need to know how coins are minted.   Here is a very short video released by the Denver mint, this is not a substitute for studying the minting process but in this video you can see just how rough these coins are treated during the production, note the use of tools like a metal rake.

Link

Edited by Coinbuf

It looks to me like someone wiped a dirty finger across this 95% copper coin, ultimately resulting in this streak of greenish black corrosion. Just because the coin came from a solid date uncirculated roll doesn't mean that the coins in the roll haven't been touched by bare hands or exposed to other negative environmental factors or that the roll is an "original" roll containing coins that have all been together since they were minted.  It is simply one of the lower grade coins in the roll.

This brings my mind to split into two thoughts. I had some Mint sets that I sold off that were "supposed" to be uncirculated and specially wrapped in their plastic pouches, but even those were not perfect examples of any of the coins in the set. 

The other half of my brain goes to rolls. Unless a roll was US Treasury sealed, there is no way to know how the coins got into the roll, or where they were gathered from. I would say most rolls are not unsearched and have been cherrypicked along the way. Sure, they have uncirculated coins in them, but let's remember what uncirculated covers. MS 60 to MS 70. Any of those ten grade points are considered uncirculated. Just because a roll is supposed to be fully uncirculated, does not mean every coin in the roll is going to be MS 68, 69, or 70. I would say most rolls advertised as uncirculated contain grades between MS 62 - MS 65 with the occasional MS 66.