• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1999 penny with strange markings
1 1

12 posts in this topic

I got this 1999 p penny with some strange looking markings that look like something was imprinted on the coin I could be very wrong but I see what looks to be flowers coming out of his hair upside down, and some weird mark in his cheek but once again idk if something else could of done this idk.IMG_1678.thumb.jpeg.663439382854cb8963bccc4aa19503f2.jpeg

IMG_1677.jpeg

Please post clear, cropped photos of the full obverse and reverse of this coin. It is very difficult to get an idea of what is going on without such photos. Is the coin mostly a whitish instead of a normal red or brown color as it appears to be in the photos?

The only "marks" I see on your coin are marks from contact with other coins or objects.  I don't see anything unusual. Perhaps someone else will.

Here are photos of the obverse of a 1999 Lincoln cent from the NGC Coin Explorer. I can see no material differences between Lincoln's hair on this coin and on yours.

4735842-022o.jpg

Please try to stop caring about “strange”, and start caring about “superior”. At the instant of striking, every coin is the best it will ever be. It’s all downhill from there. Your job is to interrupt that inevitable process of degradation as quickly and thoroughly as possible. 

To be fair about it, I am naturally suspicious when confronted by any post-mortems conducted after a presumed quarter-century of circulation, but it never hurts to get a second opinion.