• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What caused this gold coin defect
1 1

36 posts in this topic

On 6/28/2023 at 7:11 PM, Bald Eagle #7 said:

I obviously saw the coin when I removed it from the mint box and when I sent it to NGC however I evidently did not look closely.  I seems I would have spotted something this out of the ordinary.  Coming directly from the Mint I saw no reason to closely inspect.

No one had access to my office safe and the coin stayed in the safe in its mint capsule from within 24 hours of receipt to within 24 hours of shipping to NGC.  A true puzzle.

For me, the coin coming directly from the Mint would have had nothing to do with anything… I would have looked at it solely to marvel at its proof-gorgeous beauty.

Did you own a loupe magnifier?  Both then and now?  (Pardon my interrogation-like indulgence.)

No one had access to my office safe and the coin stayed in the safe in its mint capsule from within 24 hours of receipt to within 24 hours of shipping to NGC

Well it looks like it's narrowed down to something that happened at the mint during production.  So, as previously mentioned contacting the mint to see what they have to say is the next logical thing to do, even though it has been a while since you purchased it.  They likely will not exchange it at this point, especially since it went to a TPG already, but you never know as it may have been a more wide spread problem they are aware of.

Coming directly from the Mint I saw no reason to closely inspect.

I always closely inspect every coin I get, including those directly from the mint or coins that are in holders.  Over the years I have only had one coin from the mint that had to be returned, I think with a ding or something like that from years ago.  I inspected it when received, so they exchanged it right away no problem.

This seems to be one example of why all coins should be inspected when you get them, even those directly from the mint.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 6/28/2023 at 7:55 PM, EagleRJO said:

Well it looks like it's narrowed down to something that happened at the mint during production.  So, as previously mentioned contacting the mint to see what they have to say is the next logical thing to do, even though it has been a while since you purchased it.  They likely will not exchange it at this point, especially since it went to a TPG already, but you never know as it may have been a more wide spread problem they are aware of.

I always closely inspect every coin I get, including those directly from the mint or coins that are in holders.  Over the years I have only had one coin from the mint that had to be returned, I think with a ding or something like that from years ago.  I inspected it when received, so they exchanged it right away no problem.

This seems to be one example of why all coins should be inspected when you get them, even those directly from the mint.

I am not worried about exchanging.  Melt value is close to actual value without mark.  I did contact the mint and they responded with a canned answer about using gloves when handling coins.

On 6/28/2023 at 8:54 PM, Bald Eagle #7 said:

I am not worried about exchanging.  Melt value is close to actual value without mark.  I did contact the mint and they responded with a canned answer about using gloves when handling coins.

Suspected as much.

There is one thing I do wonder when sending submissions to NGC and maybe this will tie into the story of your coin. Once we put our coins into a flip for submission, everyone will do this differently. Some will do this by hand holding the coin by the edge. I myself never actually touch my coins. I use a small (new pieces every time) piece of thin cardboard like the thickness found on cases of pop cans and handle the coin with two pieces of this being very careful not to let the coin slide while it is on the cardboard. I basically hold the flip open and deposit the coin into the flip, move the pieces away from the coin and back the cardboards out. Something could have happened when putting the coin into the flip.

That part aside where something could possibly happen to a coin, once that submission is closed in its box, I don't think any of us can know after its travel experience. I think of the box moving between AC and a hot truck in the summer. What about the box being moved on a day of high humidity? I am sure the box isn't always in a temperature and humidity controlled environment (albeit sealed by us, but NOT airtight). What if the box happens to be delayed and is stuck in a truck in Florida during a high heat, high humidity day? Couldn't that not be enough to cause something like this to happen? We would not store our coins in the back of a truck that is heating up to possibly 140 degrees in the hot sun with 90%-100% humidity but we have no control over that box after it has left our hands. I have had on occasion Lincoln Wheat cents or Indian Head cents that I submitted that were rich in red color, but seemed to return in the holder less of a red to me and that is what made me wonder what happens to the box after it leaves our hands?

Something to think about....

I have a 2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemorative Coin, sent it to NGC for grading and when it came back there was a fleck of plastic right above Buzz Aldrin's visor.  It really bothered me because it was so noticeable.  Couldn't get it to budge to save my life.  Was thinking of sending it back to NGC for reholdering but never did.

Six months later when I looked at the coin the fleck was no longer there.  It's in the holder somewhere, but now "out of sight, out of mind."

There's many things that can be wrong in a holder, I suppose.