• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

There are times when it's a bummer to upgrade a coin, because the old one that you are replacing . . . .
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I have never seen a coin in my series grade below Mint State, athough they do exist: F20FG 🐓

It was raw and also love at first sight. I submitted, with seven.others, fully expecting it to come in at an unprecedented MS-68. It bore a MS-64+ grade and, because I forged ahead at full throttle, and though I acquired three with the same date and quickly decided that half of my set would hew to the -67 line, I never entered it into my Set Registry.

There are various ways of accommodating upgraded coins. Many collectors sell theirs to move up the ranks and retain only those they cannot bear to part with.  Others who are set registrants, use their upgraded examples to begin new sets. One enterprising collector has done something I have not seen anyone else do: devote each coin he has acquired to a member of his extended family, over a dozen in all. Currently, his highest ranking set comes I n at #4.

I RARELY upgrade but, when I do; I usually keep BOTH coins--original AND upgrade.  

I have also purchased duplicates AND lower graded coin, if I think that they are NICE. 

This could be for various reasons: I like the toning, the strike or the holder (OGH, Fatty, Pedigree, etc). 

Edited by Walkerfan

One of the reasons I've left well enough alone with my small gold coin collection (haven't upgraded a coin once) is because the "sole" coin upgrade I'm tempted by would cost me over $100k.

It's currently available for sale, but the effort and cost would be prohibitive… and at my age it's better to keep things simple.

Simple pleasures are the best.