• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is going on with this 1989 penny?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

20230607_193228-1.thumb.jpg.52f505c3e8ead953d9010de090cbbb89.jpgI am not sure if this penny is a mint error, post mint damage, or counterfeit.The diameter is larger than a penny but smaller than a nickel. It looks and feels like aluminum. The last photo is the questionable penny next to a normal penny.

20230607_191937.jpg

20230607_192401.jpg

20230609_090129.jpg

20230607_193008.jpg

Edited by Cntrygrl

What is the diameter and thickness of the coin?  These measurements need to be precise.   The weight is correct for a normal Zinc cent and there is no reason to counterfeit a cent, it would not be financially viable.   It looks like it has been flattened slightly, maybe buried in some soft soil/road and run over many times, whatever happened it doesn't appear to be any type of error just PMD (post mint damage).

It is called a "Texas cent" or "Texas penny". I have never done it myself, but my understanding is that you take a cent and sandwich it between two pieces of leather. Then you beat the sandwich with a hammer. The leather softens the blow enough to prevent deforming the lettering and design, but transfers enough of the force to flatten and spread out the coin. It looks like the copper plating was removed once the hammering was finished.

Edited by Just Bob

I just purchased a Vernier Caliper but have to wait for it through the mail. Thank you so much for your replies! The Texas Penny sounds like a lot of work. Very interesting though! How does it weigh correctly if the copper plating was removed?

Edited by Cntrygrl

To answer your question regarding the weight, the weight of the cent is in the planchet, not in the plating. I don't know exactly how much the thin layer of plating weighs, but I could only venture a guess that it is in the hundredths of a gram and not enough to be noticed on an accurate weighing. One would just think that the weight still ends up being in mint tolerance.