• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 D Small Date Lincoln Copper Cent
1 1

12 posts in this topic

First off I do apologize I don't have better pictures the images do not do the coin Justice. It isn't in perfect condition but I assure you it most certainly is a small date 1982 D copper. I will endeavor to get better up to date pictures of the coin as soon as possible but I would like to hear opinions about the 1982 D small date and I'd really like to hear from anyone who has found one.

IMG_20230410_004610508_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230410_004535745_HDR.jpg

And I assure you that your 1982-D Lincoln cent is a large date, not a small date and abundantly common in 95% copper composition. See the following comparison of the large and small date versions, courtesy of @EagleRJO:

1982LincolnCentInfographic.jpg.a2863425f405a1f1387b80d86e5b41a6.jpg  

On 6/8/2023 at 7:04 AM, Treasure Magnet said:

I assure you it most certainly is a small date 1982 D copper

You see?  Right THERE, that kind of bravado, is what DESTROYS A NEWBIE'S REPUTATION, probably not to regained for a long long time. Why not ASK if it's a small state? (It is not.) Why get so stupid / certain about that which is not? This coin is a Large Date. I can see it is definitively even from this crummy picture.

Edited by VKurtB

You can tell at a glance that is a Large Date. Easiest way to tell is just look at the distance between the 2 and the rim,   
if you can fit another number in the distance, it is a Small Date, if it is close to the rim, it is a Large Date.

On 6/8/2023 at 8:54 AM, Greenstang said:

You can tell at a glance that is a Large Date. Easiest way to tell is just look at the distance between the 2 and the rim,   
if you can fit another number in the distance, it is a Small Date, if it is close to the rim, it is a Large Date.

^^^^Chicken Dinnah!

On 6/8/2023 at 9:54 AM, Greenstang said:

Very easy way to tell the difference, with that visually represented in the infographic I did about this coin Sandon noted, that so many ask about and think they might have.

Also, the shape or font of the "2" used for the large date cent is another good indicator, which looks like a swan or coiled snake and is also pretty obvious.

On 6/8/2023 at 8:04 AM, Treasure Magnet said:

... I assure you it most certainly is a small date 1982 D copper

I assure you it most certainly is NOT a small date 1982-D copper penny.

Edited by EagleRJO

I appreciate all the professional opinions. Admittedly I am new and I welcome polite criticism so that in the future I actually do know what I'm talking about instead of looking like a fool. To anyone of you that writes a negative comment such as calling me stupid you can go to hell. There is such a thing as professional courtesy and respect if you can't conduct yourself with respect that just makes you a poor excuse for a person. I have done absolutely nothing to deserve being called names or to have anyone insinuate that I'm not intelligent. You don't know me so don't comment on my posts if you have negative comments because I would not disrespect you like that whether it's online or in person

Edited by Treasure Magnet

On 6/8/2023 at 3:50 PM, Treasure Magnet said:

I appreciate all the professional opinions. Admittedly I am new and I welcome polite criticism so that in the future I actually do know what I'm talking about instead of looking like a fool. To anyone of you that writes a negative comment such as calling me stupid you can go to hell. There is such a thing as professional courtesy and respect if you can't conduct yourself with respect that just makes you a poor excuse for a person. I have done absolutely nothing to deserve being called names or to have anyone insinuate that I'm not intelligent. You don't know me so don't comment on my posts if you have negative comments because I would not disrespect you like that whether it's online or in person

And I don’t play by someone else’s rules, thank you very much. You came in here all certain you had a small date.

On 6/8/2023 at 7:04 AM, Treasure Magnet said:

It isn't in perfect condition but I assure you it most certainly is a small date 1982 D copper.

Saying THAT right out of the chute is STUPID. That doesn’t mean YOU are stupid. It means you wrote a very stupid thing. Look, life is tough. Numismatic life is PARTICULARLY tough, ugly, and brutish. I’ve been in it for over 60 years. I’m not of the…

On 6/8/2023 at 3:50 PM, Treasure Magnet said:

You don't know me so don't comment on my posts if you have negative comments because I would not disrespect you like that whether it's online or in person

…generation. I’m a Social Security recipient who learned in the 1960’s that telling the TRUTH is the ultimate defense to negativity charges. I’ll make you a deal. You dial back the unreasonable bravado and I’ll dial back the negativity. Deal? And yes, BY THE WAY, I am PRECISELY this outspoken in person, too. Ask the ANA Board of Governors if you don’t believe me. Oh, and I’m a 58 year Philadelphia Eagles fan, too. That should inform you about my lack of “making nice-nice”. Our reputation for being “in yo’ face” is well deserved. Go watch Barney the Dinosaur re-runs.

P.S. I notice that on your OTHER thread, the one with the 1944 cent, you’ve also written some very ignorant things there as well. You have VERRRRRY much to learn here, fella.

Edited by VKurtB

Alright VKurtB, that's fair enough. I won't ask anyone to be anything else but who they are, and your right am ignorant on Alot of things but I'm willing to listen, hear and learn. I jumped the gun on the 82 probably because I was overly excited. The 82 is the unicorn of my hunt I've been looking for 8 years ever since I got into coins and my desire to find it is bordering on insane. I love the hunt there's a thrill in it that I can't explain in words and anything I know about coins I learned on my own so there's no way everything I've learned is correct. I was raised old school VKurtB and I was taught never to disrespect your elders so I sincerely apologize for popping off with the mouth sir you did not deserve that attitude. I get tunnel vision and my blood starts boiling when I feel my intelligence is being attacked not making excuses for my behavior I'm just explaining the reason.

Edited by Treasure Magnet

On 6/10/2023 at 5:38 PM, Treasure Magnet said:

Alright VKurtB, that's fair enough. I won't ask anyone to be anything else but who they are, and your right am ignorant on Alot of things but I'm willing to listen, hear and learn. I jumped the gun on the 82 probably because I was overly excited. The 82 is the unicorn of my hunt I've been looking for 8 years ever since I got into coins and my desire to find it is bordering on insane. I love the hunt there's a thrill in it that I can't explain in words and anything I know about coins I learned on my own so there's no way everything I've learned is correct. I was raised old school VKurtB and I was taught never to disrespect your elders so I sincerely apologize for popping off with the mouth sir you did not deserve that attitude. I get tunnel vision and my blood starts boiling when I feel my intelligence is being attacked not making excuses for my behavior I'm just explaining the reason.

Have you spent any time thinking about the EXTREME probability problems with looking for a coin like this? This is less likely than winning a million dollar lottery prize THREE TIMES. The real interesting part is explaining how there could have ever been even ONE of them, ever. It’s supposed to be impossible. I have a frequently expressed theory that the average person has zero concept of extreme probability issues, positive or negative. Any time spent on these quests is nearly certainly wasted time and energy. And as an old man who has ‘beaten’ cancer three times (actually fought it to a draw; it’s all anyone does) and a cerebral hemorrhage once, wasting time makes my blood boil. I don’t have all that many breaths or heartbeats left.

Ephesians 5:11 Don't waste your time on useless work, mere busywork, the barren pursuits of darkness. Expose these things for the sham they are.

orrrr, for the more secular view:

”Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time, for that is the Stuff that Life is made of.” - Benjamin Franklin

Edited by VKurtB

On 6/10/2023 at 6:38 PM, Treasure Magnet said:

... I'm willing to listen, hear and learn.

That is a good attitude and half the battle.  Plus you took Kurt's brutally honest observations pretty well. If you truly are interested in learning about coins I would recommend starting with the following topics on this board ...

https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/428817-resources-for-new-collectors/

https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/430263-basic-resources-glossary-for-those-posting-questions/