• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recognising a new variety
1 1

2 posts in this topic

Hi,

I note that from the registry there are limited numbers of varieties available for attribution. One I am interested in particular is the 1825 farthing with the particular variety of 5 over higher 5. I have seen several of these farthings graded by NGC, but no category exists for noting the overpunch. 

Is this something that can be done easily i.e. create a known variety category?

Thanks

• Administrator

Hello @Christopher Ray, thank you for contacting us. Currently, NGC has a list of varieties that we are currently able to designate. At this time, NGC recognizes these US varieties:

All varieties listed in VarietyPlus (complete catalog available online)

Most Cherrypicker varieties by FS numbers

Half cents by Cohen numbers

Large cents by Sheldon (1793-1814) and Newcomb (1816-57) numbers

Half dimes (1794-1837) by Logan-McCloskey numbers

Dimes by John Reich (1796-1837) and Forton (1837-1891; Top-100 only) numbers.

Quarter dollars (1796-1838) by Browning numbers

Half dollars (1794-1836) by Overton numbers

Half dollars (1836-1839) by Graham-Reiver numbers

Silver dollars (1794-1804) by Bowers-Borckardt and Bolender numbers

Selected silver dollars (1878-1935) by VAM numbers (limited to 8TF, 7/8TF, Top 100, Hot 50, and Hit List 40 varieties, as well as only those others listed on VarietyPlus)

Kindly keep in mind that NGC does not attribute as varieties coins that display Strike Doubling, Abrasion Doubling, Die Deterioration Doubling, Master Die Doubling (doubling that is found on all coins made produced from that master die), insignificant die chips, breaks, cracks, or any variety coin that falls under mint tolerances for doubling or normal die wear.

You may kindly also find all the varieties we designate at our VarietyPlus | NGC page. If the variety you are looking for is not listed, it is likely that NGC does not currently designate it.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions. Thank you!