• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1888/7 Indian head
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Please post clear, cropped photos of the entire obverse and reverse of this coin. This is our practice on this forum and may be of importance in this case, as NGC VarietyPlus states that "[m]any examples . . . have a small rim break over letter E of UNITED."

Based upon the photos that you have posted, I think that it is quite unlikely that this coin would be attributed as an example of the rare 1888/7 FS-101 die variety. The lump at the lower left of the second "8" is next to an indentation that appears to be a nick. The lump is likely displaced metal from the hit that caused the nick rather than the remnant of the bottom of a "7". I see no indication of the remnant of the upper left tip of a "7" at the upper left of the 8, which is also a required diagnostic of this variety. VarietyPlus states that "[t]he underlying 7 is shallow, and this variety will not be attributed unless it is clearly visible, regardless of any other diagnostic features." Compare the VarietyPlus photo below and see the additional photos and commentary for this variety at Indian Cents (1859-1909) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com).

815443-2.jpg

Your full obverse photo proves that your coin is not an 1888/7. The obverse die that struck your coin had the "1" in the date positioned very close to the tip of the bust and higher than the other numerals. The date on the 1888/7 has the "1" farther from the bust and more even with the other numerals, as shown in the VarietyPlus photo of the full date, shown below. 

815443-1.jpg

Dates were punched separately into dies for U.S. coins until about 1908, making the date position a useful tool for attributing some varieties. Although I'm sorry to disappoint you, hopefully you have learned something from this exercise.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I think what you may be seeing is a flattening of the last 8 making it appear wider than normal, and it may just be me but there may be a small die chip at the top of the last 8 but that would not get this coin attributed the 1888/7 variety. I also do not see the necessary markers for that attribution.