• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doubling on Medals

2 posts in this topic

I am the author of "Philippine Medals and Tokens 1780-2020" 3rd edition that NGC uses to identify and assign reference numbers to submissions. A friend and collector in London sent me an email asking if he could request that medals with double letters and/or dates can be annotated on the NGC label? I seem to remember 8-10 years ago someone in the medal grading area telling me that NGC does not list doubling for foreign medals.

Would you please confirm if a submitter asks for the medal to be checked for doubling and pays the appropriate fee that this service can be provided?

Thank you!

• Administrator

Hello @Mactanboy, thank you for contacting us. Currently, NGC does not attribute as varieties coins or medals that display Strike Doubling, Abrasion Doubling, Die Deterioration Doubling, Master Die Doubling (doubling that is found on all coins/medals produced from that master die), insignificant die chips, breaks or cracks, or any variety coin that falls under mint tolerances for doubling or normal die wear.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions. Thank you!