• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2014 D Virginia Quarter (Error Coin)

8 posts in this topic

New to coin collecting & recently came across this Quarter that I thought looked odd. I'm wanting to know if the coin is of any value & what type of error would this called? Any advice is appreciated.

IMG_8939.jpg

IMG_8938.jpg

Welcome to the NGC chat board. Questions of this nature should be posted in the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum, not the NGC Registry forum.

Your 2014-D Shenandoah quarter does not exhibit a mint error. It is simply corroded and of no value to any knowledgeable collector. Contrary to what you may have read on the internet, significant mint errors and other valuable coins are hardly ever to be found in circulation.   

As a new collector, you must learn about U.S. coins generally and how to grade and otherwise evaluate them, as well as learning about what constitutes a significant mint error or die variety. The following topics and other links should help you:

Variety vs. Mint Error | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 1 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 2 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 3 | NGC (ngccoin.com)   

For a comprehensive overview of mint errors, see the website error-ref.com.

You would also benefit from attending coin shows and coin club meetings, where you can see a variety of coins and speak with knowledgeable dealers and collectors.  

Edited by Sandon

On 5/31/2023 at 11:45 PM, AliciaB86 said:

I'm wanting to know ... what type of error would this called?

Welcome!  I am just curious about what led you to believe the coin you posted had errors.

Welcome Forum.jpg

On 5/31/2023 at 8:45 PM, AliciaB86 said:

New to coin collecting & recently came across this Quarter that I thought looked odd. I'm wanting to know if the coin is of any value & what type of error would this called? Any advice is appreciated.

Welcome to the forum, in the future please indicate specifically what it is on any coin you post that you are asking about.   I see no errors on this quarter, if the coloration is what you are asking about that is not a mint error.   That is some type of environmental discoloration, perhaps buried in the ground for awhile or some soda pop spilled on it.

Welcome... as others have said, this coin is exhibiting damage from the environment.  This coin sat being exposed to moisture, and looks like it was sitting against another coin.  As a newbie, I would advise to not start with errors.  They are interesting, but so many go down the rabbit hole of looking for errors without really understanding them.  Rarely does this collector ever find a true error.  

I recommend starting with a set of modern coins and building a set by date and mint mark from circulation (the US State Quarters and ATB Parks Quarters are probably the two easiest sets to build).  While building your set, learn about the minting process and how coins are graded.  The minting process is the key to spotting and understanding REAL errors.  Then you can decide if you want to take it to the next level (whatever direction that may be) or keep it casual.  

Taking a slow, deliberate approach will give you the time to learn while not overloading you with damaged (face value) coins that are truly not collectible.  One of the most disheartening things for a new collector is to look at a collection taking XXX months/years only to realize later that the coins are not collectible, damaged coins.  Your future self will thank you.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Your coin has what we call PMD (post mint damage). In the case of your coin, it was environmental damage. Keep in mind that coins throughout centuries have been subjected to differing levels of environmental damage ranging from being stored improperly to being recovered from the ground or the ocean after a hundred plus years or more.

True errors are only attributed as such because they happen somewhere in the minting process and before the coin has left the mint. As someone new to the hobby, please avoid trying to get your numismatic education through videos on YouTube (unless they are made by the US Mint, NGC or PCGS, ANA, or ANACS).

I also recommend learning the basics of grading before venturing into the world of errors which is to me a subset of the hobby as mint errors are even graded slightly different than normal mint issues.