• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much of a premium would you be willing to pay for a toned coin?

14 posts in this topic

This is a question I thought of asking everyone after talking with board member Beijim who posted the Blue Ribbon Coin Write-ups thread.

How much of a premium would you be willing to pay for a beautifully toned coin?

John

It would depend on how much I wanted that particular coin. I have paid $1000 for a $79 grey sheet ask coin. That must be about 12x face. I have seen others sell for a lot more than that.

Depends greatly on the coin. I try to be very smart in my toned coin purchases. The most I've paid, that I can remember, is $105 for a nicely toned Morgan that probably should cost around $40. I can't recall paying a higher proportion for toned. I try not to get caught up in paying too much for toned coins. I'd rather snag them from sellers who don't like them and then turn them into cions worth selling. Only once did I get burned. A 1926S Peace$ that is really nicely toned. PCGS calls it AU-55, but I still cannot see the wear. If it doesn't have wear, it'd be a 63 or 64 easily. But I paid $89 for it, so it was a good buy when I thought it was a 63/4. Still, I can't see the wear...

Depends on the coin. I wouldn't give much for a toned Morgan dollar......there's tons of 'em. Of course, I don't collect 'em either. I paid $250ish once for a ms/66 38-d buffalo. I think bid was $35 or $40 at the time. That's probably the largest spread between sheet price and selling price. I've paid double bid plenty of times for different type pieces.

The one coin that I didn't bite on, which I regret probably the most, was a rainbow toned 3cn, that was priced at close to triple bid. I passed, and went back to the dealers table later, and it was sold. I haven't seen one at such a 'reasonable" level, with that kind of toning, since. I had my "smart" hat on that day.

One other side note, I sold a rainbow toned Shield nickel in an ngc ms/64 holder once for quintuple bid, and the buyer told me he was willing to go higher! Certain coins just don't become available all that often with attractive toning.

It depends. For some coins, like Morgans, I won't pay a big premium because I don't care for them. Other coins that don't come with color often, the premium could be massive.

I frequently have to pay 3X-4X "white" price in order to get a colorfully toned commemorative. I've bid in situations where a $25 white coin has sold for a few thousands because of the color.

I've also turned down a $1000 for a coin I paid ~$200 for. It's a $10 coin white. Some people might think this is insane, but the demand is unbelieveable.

how much??? you know for proof coins ( which I adore) and one that would make a great addition to my collection. i would pay (of course depending on the actual coin) 200%. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

mike.

dont forget, collect proof sets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 grin.gif

it dpeneds on the coin sight seen and if the coin is within my speciality

but if the coin is exceptional in many qualities and is really uncommon as such then a current market price for the coin

and from what i have seen the right coins with the right qualities bring huge money and worth it

but just remember this

IF THE COIN BRINGS A HUGE PRICE THAT IS OKIE AS LONG AS IT IS A HUGE EXCPETIONAL MONSTER COIN

sincerely michael

I prefer "White" coins to toned ones in sliver. So, I don't pay any premium whatsoever for toned cioins, unless it is a date I really want. If I can find a legitimately "undipped" white silver coin, I go for that one anytime, over the toned one---it is just a matter of personal taste.

Thanks for all the opinions everyone!

Personally, I like a nice blast white coin as much as a beautifully toned one. So I find it hard to pay some of the huge premiums that are asked for these. I would rather buy two or three blast white coins than spend the same amount of money on one toned coin.

I have paid a premium for a nicely toned coin in the past and probably will again in the future, but the highest premium I have paid so far has been about 50% over the going rate for the same coin that was white.

John

I agree. I like a beautifully toned coin as much as anyone, but I think a blast white coin cool.gif full of mint frost and dripping with luster is just as nice! smile.gif

John