• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

While driving home for Memorial Day, I stopped in at a random pawn shop . . . . and bought a coin at full Redbook value
1 1

7 posts in this topic

On 5/31/2023 at 8:02 AM, EarlyUS.com said:

They had all manner of terrible coins in stock - damaged large cents, partial album sets of low grade coins, cleaned silver dollars and the usual stuff like that which holds little interest for me.  But stuck way in the bottom of a pile was this coin, improperly stapled into a 2x2 but at least, not cleaned nor molested.  The clerk was overgrading almost everything, then using a Redbook to (over)price the coins of interest to me.  But even though he quoted me full "good", I paid what he asked for this one.  I just don't often see a low-grade Classic Head cent with such a perfectly smooth and original surface.  Enjoy!

IMG_1691_.JPGIMG_1692_.JPG

I like it. Good enough. Antique stores are a bit high sometimes, but pawn shops are always to high.

Improperly stapled? May be one of Ratzie's earliest "under the radar" creations. A Banksy may be nice but an early original Ratzie is priceless. Oh, forgot... you weren't here back then!  🤣

By "improperly stapled", I mean that whomever stored the coin did not use a staple-flat stapler.  They used a normal office stapler which leaves the staple bumped high enough to be able to scratch other coins.  By far, most of my collection is not certified, so I am highly particular about proper 2x2 storage!

On 5/31/2023 at 8:05 AM, EarlyUS.com said:

Forgot to mention that I attribute this as S-292.  Let me know whether you agree

Yes, this is an S-292. The easiest diagnostic is that there is a berry between the S and T of STATES. On the S-293 the berry is beneath the upright of the first T of STATES. From what I can see, it should "straight grade" AG 3 or perhaps G 4.

I would avoid storing coins of any value in cardboard 2x2 holders even if the staples are crimped or flattened. The thin layer of plastic that covers the coin can easily be torn and the coin exposed to the environment. Even flat staples can scratch or press into the coin through the thin plastic layer. Years ago, I ruined a VF Barber quarter that received an indentation on Liberty's face from the staple on an adjacent holder that held a smaller coin. Hard plastic holders (lucite holders with screws, square snap together holders, or capsules), modern albums in which the coins fit snugly and beneath the top slide to avoid slide marks, and even mylar flips are better choices to store uncertified coins.