• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Totally Lost
1 1

3 posts in this topic

I am submitting some coins for grading.  I have my forms ready to fill out.  I know this is weird question but who makes the decision on the type of grading tier i want?  I guess my question is in two parts.  when i look at the services and fees tab on the website there are the different tiers and max value.  I dont want to fill this form out wrong and wait and get it back not graded because i filled out the form wrong.  so do I assume what I think is the max value?  do I send the coin in and NGC assesses the value and charges me for the tier it falls in?  Here is my example.  I have a coin to grade.  I look it up in all the price guides and it says it is worth 100 dollars.  So I send it with at Standard grade.  however when it gets there, I missed something and the coins work 4000.  Does NGC do the next tier and charge me accordingly?  If the value exceeds the tier I asked for, does it just get sent back to me.  I apologize for the silly questions but this is my first submission and I am totally lost.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The only way your coins would be returned to you is if your form of payment is no good and NGC has no way to get paid for their services.

That said, it is important to get your submission paperwork in order and as correct as possible (note, I did not say critical). Do your best to self grade your coins and assess the value of each coin. Make sure you are entering the correct date and mintmark for each line and the correct numbers on each flip. When it comes to the value (should you undergrade a coin for some reason and yes it does happen), NGC will notify you via email of the change when they believe a coin is worth more than you state and will adjust that coin accordingly and charge you the extra difference to your credit card. This is the ONLY change NGC will make to your submission. Should you forget to check a box for Mint Error or VarietyPlus, the coin will be straight graded.

Once you submit your paperwork (or internet filing), and NGC receives your submission, even if you catch a mistake you made on it, NGC CANNOT and WILL NOT adjust your paperwork once it is received. Double check your paperwork before actually making your submission.

It may seem daunting, but once you have gotten into it, there is almost a rhythm to filling out the submission forms.

Good luck on your first submission!