• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Counterfeit 1908 St. Gaudens Double Eagle
2 2

10 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

This is not a genuine U.S. coin. It is a very crude imitation of a 1907 (in Roman numerals "MCMVII") high relief St. Gaudens double eagle or twenty-dollar gold piece. (I doubt that it contains any gold.) In my view, it isn't even worthy of the term "counterfeit", as it shouldn't deceive anyone who has any idea of what a genuine coin of this issue looks like, such as the one appearing in the following photos from the NGC Coin Explorer:

1907 HIGH RELIEF $20 MS

1907 HIGH RELIEF $20 MS

In addition, a genuine coin would normally have the words "E PLURIBUS UNUM" with the words separated by stars on the edge, not a plain edge with a seam running down its center.

On 5/30/2023 at 9:19 PM, Coinbruv said:

Just wondering, what are the signs, because I am new to coins.

Here are two topics on the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum that will provide you with guidance as to print and online resources that will assist you in learning about U.S. coins and developing the necessary authentication, grading and other evaluation skills:

You should also attend events such as coin shows and coin club meetings where you can examine a variety of genuine coins and speak with knowledgeable collectors and dealers.

One glance at the eagle and I immediately knew it was a counterfeit and a very poor one at that. It only maybe half resembles a legitimate specimen. The lettering is off and not the right font. The sun and rays are all wrong. I hope you didn't pay a lot for it. In fact, I hope you didn't pay anything for it.

You have a worn out previously plated counterfeit coin that is a particularly bad one as well. If you could please destroy that coin or stamp it COPY. IMO that kind of stuff deteriorates faith in our community. It may end up fooling an uneducated new collector if it was out in the wild. Thank you for your time.

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 7/27/2023 at 1:55 PM, BillJones said:

1907 High Relief $20 All.jpg

A Fleeting thought... some highly regarded members have disputed one popular member's assertion that the Double Eagle is a "classic" coin. I certainly would not suggest any French gold rooster could vye for that title but what is being produced today, a century later, could not by any stretch of the imagination offer serious competition. If the coin you were kind enough to display here does not meet the eligibility criteria meeting the definition of "classic coin," I do not know what does irrespective of scarcity, perceived value or the engraver's extracurricular activities some may find fault with.