• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mint Error or Damage?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I would say that is post mint damage from something (one could only venture a guess as to what). I do not think in the minting process that a coin could get a "start" of a curved clip and then the blanking machinery or dies said "OOPS!! OH NO! STOP!" The machine would have completed the clip.

"I would say that is post mint damage from something (one could only venture a guess as to what). I do not think in the minting process that a coin could get a "start" of a curved clip and then the blanking machinery or dies said "OOPS!! OH NO! STOP!" The machine would have completed the clip. "

Yeah, I got stuck on trying to figure out what could have done the damage.

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Error-ref.com references and shows examples of an unusual type of planchet error called an "incomplete punch" or "incomplete clip". https://www.error-ref.com/incomplete-punch/   The coin posted here does not seem to meet all of the criteria, such as that "[o]n both faces, the surface of the coin should be undistorted on either side of the punch mark."  It is most likely post-mint damage. However, you may wish to compare this coin to the photos and list of criteria on the referenced page.

On 5/30/2023 at 10:23 PM, Sandon said:

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Error-ref.com references and shows examples of an unusual type of planchet error called an "incomplete punch" or "incomplete clip". https://www.error-ref.com/incomplete-punch/   

As I was reading the op's post I was thinking there might be a shot it was an incomplete punch planchet as it does have that look.  I would take a closer look at this and carefully go through the criteria on the referenced site as they are pretty rare.

[One negative is that it doesn't seem like there are the same or similar marks on both sides.]

Edited by EagleRJO

On 5/30/2023 at 11:26 PM, EagleRJO said:

As I was reading the op's post I was thinking there might be a shot it was an incomplete punch planchet as it does have that look.  I would take a closer look at this and carefully go through the criteria on the referenced site as they are pretty rare.

Nice find Eagle and I would say a possibility but I think a incomplete punch has marks on both sides. On this coin the step has a dent, the rim is pushed away a bit, and the obverse shows some what of a impact on IN GOD WE TRUST. I don't think that would happen in the chamber and that makes me think the coin is not flat and is PMD. Just my observation without looking at it with a loupe. 

Edited by J P M