• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading error..by NGC
1 1

92 posts in this topic

On 5/31/2023 at 4:12 PM, PastorKen said:

I read it somewhere in the ngc grading system about how they grade coins if I mistakenly read it I'm sorry but I read it as a 69 yes can have defects but they shouldn't be visible without some magnification 

No, the NGC standards (https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-grading/grading-scale/) for an MS69 are "a fully struck coin with nearly imperceptible imperfections" as previously noted.  The magnification you are referring to only applies to an MS70 at 5x without any imperfections.  The circled areas in the second pic you posted are magnified, and if you look at the full coin pic posted you can barely even make out there is a bag mark.

On 5/31/2023 at 4:17 PM, PastorKen said:

... I just wanted some advice on what I should do with it 

As many have said, just leave it, unless you want a perfect bullion coin then sell it and put that towards an MS70 bullion coin.  But I would just take that money and buy a collectible Proof ASE.  From the mint it's about the same you would likely pay for an MS70 bullion coin on the market, and imo the proof coins are much nicer.  That's just me though.

https://catalog.usmint.gov/american-eagle-2023-one-ounce-silver-proof-coin-23EA.html?cgid=american-eagle-coins#start=1

2023 Proof ASE.jpg

On 5/31/2023 at 5:03 PM, EagleRJO said:

No, the NGC standards (https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-grading/grading-scale/) for an MS69 are "a fully struck coin with nearly imperceptible imperfections" as previously noted.  The magnification you are referring to only applies to an MS70 at 5x without any imperfections.  The circled areas in the second pic you posted are magnified, and if you look at the full coin pic posted you can barely even make out there is a bag mark.

As many have said, just leave it, unless you want a perfect bullion coin then sell it and put that towards an MS70 bullion coin.  But I would just take that money and buy a collectible Proof ASE.  From the mint it's about the same you would likely pay for an MS70 bullion coin on the market, and imo the proof coins are much nicer.  That's just me though.

https://catalog.usmint.gov/american-eagle-2023-one-ounce-silver-proof-coin-23EA.html?cgid=american-eagle-coins#start=1

2023 Proof ASE.jpg

I recently got a new 23 and will all the new design coins have the M mint mark I have a 21 t2 and a new 23 both with the W mint mark most older ones don't the other eagles I got are in capsules but very nice BU condition....but shortly after talking to you my coin disappeared from the registry  why  I called them right away and I posted what I was told 

On 5/31/2023 at 5:23 PM, PastorKen said:

I recently got a new 23 and will all the new design coins have the M mint mark I have a 21 t2 and a new 23 both with the W mint mark most older ones don't the other eagles I got are in capsules but very nice BU condition....but shortly after talking to you my coin disappeared from the registry  why  I called them right away and I posted what I was told 

I'm just a amateur coin collector..grade makes no difference to me like I said before I'm 46 I'm a ordained minister and been saving coins here and there most all.my life but the Morgan dollars are what really got me interested I only have several and recently got some eagles to add I like the old design better imo

On 5/31/2023 at 5:27 PM, PastorKen said:

I'm just a amateur coin collector..grade makes no difference to me like I said before I'm 46 I'm a ordained minister and been saving coins here and there most all.my life but the Morgan dollars are what really got me interested I only have several and recently got some eagles to add I like the old design better imo

I'm sorry the grade yes the one graded coin I got I just wanted to make sure there wasn't really anything I could do or not with it as in is it an error on them or do I just sell it off 

On 5/31/2023 at 5:29 PM, PastorKen said:

I'm sorry the grade yes the one graded coin I got I just wanted to make sure there wasn't really anything I could do or not with it as in is it an error on them or do I just sell it off 

Sometimes we just have to accept we got burned or overpaid.  Happens to ALL of us (well, MOST of us xD ).  Learn from the modern ASE so that if you ever spend mid-3 figures or even 4-figures on a Morgan SD, you get a good deal.

Don't be afraid to run something by us here. (thumbsu

On 5/31/2023 at 5:49 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Sometimes we just have to accept we got burned or overpaid.  Happens to ALL of us (well, MOST of us xD ).  Learn from the modern ASE so that if you ever spend mid-3 figures or even 4-figures on a Morgan SD, you get a good deal.

On 5/31/2023 at 5:49 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Tbh the coin in question I guess lol I paid just 35 for I got it with a few silver Franklin halves and it was 2019 I believe but the Morgans I bought I had checked like this coin and they're all genuine but I got my Morgans from a very fair dealer out of Chicago I got 4 off him for just under 200 and they're all in very nice condition I'd say very close to AU 1884-O 1885 ..1921-S and a 2nd 1921

On 5/31/2023 at 6:03 PM, PastorKen said:

Tbh the coin in question I guess lol I paid just 35 for I got it with a few silver Franklin halves and it was 2019 I believe but the Morgans I bought I had checked like this coin and they're all genuine but I got my Morgans from a very fair dealer out of Chicago I got 4 off him for just under 200 and they're all in very nice condition I'd say very close to AU 1884-O 1885 ..1921-S and a 2nd 1921

Also I hope I can continue to ask questions here ...lol

On 5/31/2023 at 5:04 PM, PastorKen said:

Also I hope I can continue to ask questions here ...lol

You can ALWAYS ask questions here. Most of the responses you get are from members who have been at this for decades and are savvy when it comes to the financial end of the hobby. Just remember that sometimes you have to take some responses you get with a grain of salt. ;)

On 5/31/2023 at 7:39 PM, powermad5000 said:

You can ALWAYS ask questions here. Most of the responses you get are from members who have been at this for decades and are savvy when it comes to the financial end of the hobby. Just remember that sometimes you have to take some responses you get with a grain of salt. ;)

I was hoping for that but the fact my coin disappeared from the registry I didn't like ..there's nothing wrong with it as far as a genuine NGC graded coin it's been registered as long as I've had it but I hope it's readded tomorrow as they told me ...I haven't received any emails from them yet so far either..but I hope this doesn't turn into a process just because I may have worded something wrong  but thanks for everyone's help I know what I'll do once it's been put back into the registry 

On 5/31/2023 at 9:21 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Sometimes I run out of salt, is a grain of peper or sugar or some other condiment OK ? xD

Heinz Ketchup packets.

On 5/31/2023 at 4:05 PM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

So, right now we're waiting for tomorrow? (when NGC said they'd check on it)

Let's assume the coin does come back onto NGC Verification.  If that happens, and the coin was over-graded, NGC owes you something… that's what their guarantee provides… compensation.

I just spoke again to NGC ...the website is down for looking up coins they said ...but they CAN TRACE MY COIN back to it's original graded date so It will be put back up ..now what right 

Edited by PastorKen

On 5/31/2023 at 4:05 PM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

So, right now we're waiting for tomorrow? (when NGC said they'd check on it)

Let's assume the coin does come back onto NGC Verification.  If that happens, and the coin was over-graded, NGC owes you something… that's what their guarantee provides… compensation.

Bob I'd actually like to know what you were thinking I can do when you said if they put it back up because it IS GENUINE...what am I entitled to because of their guarantee..?

Edited by PastorKen

Send it to NGC for Appearance Review… uninsured, cheapest postage available… $20?

They will handle the process from there, and send the coin newly encapsulated, with payment for difference in value (their grading error) back to you.

The coin will avail itself to an interesting Registry "comments" writeup by you… something to consider.

Good luck.

Bob

On 6/2/2023 at 2:15 PM, Coinbuf said:

I always thought that men of the cloth practiced forgiveness, guess I was wrong.

We do ...I started this thread by acknowledging I'm just an amateur collector and asked a question because I wanted a better understanding on their policies and ultimately what my choices are ...my question has been answered but don't disrespect a MINISTER...I'm NOT a Reverend there's a difference..

On 5/31/2023 at 10:22 AM, VKurtB said:

Close, but not quite, @J P M. You are showing -114. The OP’s is -144.

Sorry,  I  Guess these old eyes are needing  new glasses 

When you Do sell the coin, print this thread and include it as provenance for your now famous coin!

On 6/3/2023 at 8:52 AM, Tigerbait said:

When you Do sell the coin, print this thread and include it as provenance for your now famous coin!

Like I keep saying I was only asking for advice...I never had any monetary interest....I only wanted some "professional" advice and I got what I needed ...but no I can't print out this thread infact I might as well delete it ..I said I got the information I need ....should I post a few old S mint 60's pennies ...I just found...found some error quarters a couple WB SBA's. And a S mint 79 in circulation..smh Also found a single 2019 W mint quarter..also some recent eagles I got which got me to notice the scratch on my 09 but they're very nice BU coins in capsules but I recently got the 2021 set ...T1 and T2 and a new 2023 but so far my 2 T2's have the W mint mark which means they're early release coins..? I've said before I also got 4 really nice Morgans 1884-O 1885 1921-S and a 2nd 1921... aside from the Morgans and eagles finding those In normal change ain't bad ...I've stopped using any quarter minted since 99 I keep everyone I get because there are so many errors out there but I try to look at them and research the coins I have a jeweler triplet and a 60× magnification piece with a blacklight and bright led light sorry to go on but I got several coins that could be errors too ...upgraded..lol

On 6/3/2023 at 8:15 AM, PastorKen said:

Like I keep saying I was only asking for advice...I never had any monetary interest....I only wanted some "professional" advice and I got what I needed ...but no I can't print out this thread infact I might as well delete it ..I said I got the information I need ....should I post a few old S mint 60's pennies ...I just found...found some error quarters a couple WB SBA's. And a S mint 79 in circulation..smh Also found a single 2019 W mint quarter..also some recent eagles I got which got me to notice the scratch on my 09 but they're very nice BU coins in capsules but I recently got the 2021 set ...T1 and T2 and a new 2023 but so far my 2 T2's have the W mint mark which means they're early release coins..? I've said before I also got 4 really nice Morgans 1884-O 1885 1921-S and a 2nd 1921... aside from the Morgans and eagles finding those In normal change ain't bad ...I've stopped using any quarter minted since 99 I keep everyone I get because there are so many errors out there but I try to look at them and research the coins I have a jeweler triplet and a 60× magnification piece with a blacklight and bright led light sorry to go on but I got several coins that could be errors too ...upgraded..lol

Hope you decide to hang out here. This may seem like a tough crowd but it's really all about being sure that the correct information is being posted. We may argue but at the end the truth is there. Feel free to post about your other coins. 

On 6/3/2023 at 9:59 AM, ldhair said:

Hope you decide to hang out here. This may seem like a tough crowd but it's really all about being sure that the correct information is being posted. We may argue but at the end the truth is there. Feel free to post about your other coins. 

I will...can always use advice...

On 6/2/2023 at 1:15 PM, Coinbuf said:

I always thought that men of the cloth practiced forgiveness, guess I was wrong.

Anyone can be ordained as a minister. It once took many hours of study and cost hundreds of dollars. Now, it is free and costs about a minute of your time and a click of a mouse. Conan OBrian, Lady Gaga, and Dewayne Johnson are all ordained ministers, just to mention a few.

On 6/3/2023 at 10:05 AM, Just Bob said:

Anyone can be ordained as a minister. It once took many hours of study and cost hundreds of dollars. Now, it is free and costs about a minute of your time and a click of a mouse. Conan OBrian, Lady Gaga, and Dewayne Johnson are all ordained ministers, just to mention a few.

And I’ve officiated at a funeral in 2019. It was June and everyone was booked with weddings. So I prepared well and everything was fine.

On 6/3/2023 at 11:05 AM, Just Bob said:

Yea I never said I had a Parrish but I got ordained back in 2014 ... because I had personal issues and felt I had hit bottom and I needed to turn over a new leaf so I wanted to change my life I did it for me not nessarily anyone else