• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 D 1C Mint Mark crooked question
1 1

15 posts in this topic

I found this Lincoln Cent today but could not find any information on a die issue.  Any information is appreciated.

1955-d 1c d crooked .jpg

1955-d 1c d crooked close.jpg

The mm has hand stamped into the die. It can be anywhere below the date and to the right of  Lincoln’s bust.  
Being crooked is quite common and there would be hundreds of thousands of cents  produced in that position.

As @Greenstang indicated, mint marks were punched into dies by hand at the U.S. Mint until the early 1990s and could appear in a range of locations and angles. Such coins are not considered significant as varieties unless the variation in position or angle is extreme.  In the case of this particular coin, it appears to me that the perceived angle is accentuated by a scrape on the left side of the mintmark.

Other than it being crooked, am I the only one seeing in the closeup at the top right side of the mintmark (about 3 o'clock) a raised line as if it could be a D/D? I looked at varieties for this date there are a few but none match the OP's mintmark for a D/D. I do see a hit right across the mintmark that displaced some of the metal, but I am asking others if they notice the area around 3 o'clock? 

On 5/28/2023 at 7:50 PM, powermad5000 said:

Other than it being crooked, am I the only one seeing in the closeup at the top right side of the mintmark (about 3 o'clock) a raised line as if it could be a D/D? I looked at varieties for this date there are a few but none match the OP's mintmark for a D/D. I do see a hit right across the mintmark that displaced some of the metal, but I am asking others if they notice the area around 3 o'clock? 

In the first picture, it looks like some staining or other discoloration, but in the second, it looks like it could be raised. Maybe some more pics with different lighting angles would show better what it actually looks like in hand. ( Then again, it is late, and I have been on the road all day, so I might be seeing things.) 

I think the hit on the mint mark has moved the metal so much it would be very difficult to make a accurate assessment on a RPM-003 if that was posable.

It never hurts to ask a question and I always want to learn more.  I appreciate the feedback!

RE: "1955 D 1C Mint Mark crooked question."

Your question seems straight and not the least bit crooked. :)

The mintmark is tilted slightly and damaged after manufacture, but nothing unusual or of any special value. The coin is worth a couple of cents in copper.