• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943-S Steel Lincoln Wheat Penny - Error in Lincoln Head
1 1

10 posts in this topic

This 1943-S steel penny shows a depression in Lincoln forehead and a die chip above the date  

At first I thought it a normal dent but after going over it I changed my mind

I looked and checked my books but have found nothing. Does any one have any thoughts on this

Thank You Daniel

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by txboaz55

It wouldn't really matter. That one is almost surely replated, which probably happened after the dent and made it look natural rather than the damage it is. It is of no interest or value to collectors between the damage and the alteration.

On 5/24/2023 at 9:29 PM, txboaz55 said:

Replated really !? What an odd thing to do. Seems like a bit of work for no great payoff

Thanks for the reply you have given me something new to learn

There are a couple of reasons people would do that. One, school science experiments (or maybe at home for serious nerdburgers). Two, so they could put it on Counterfeitsy and sell it to some massive sucker as a Very Rare Really "Shinny" MS-73 Steel Penny. They only have to find one cretin with too much money and no discernment.

On 5/25/2023 at 12:29 AM, txboaz55 said:

Replated really !? What an odd thing to do. Seems like a bit of work for no great payoff

Thanks for the reply you have given me something new to learn

Not really, these coins were and probably still are re-plated by the thousands.  They are almost as common as original examples.  Companies would re-plate them in bulk and sell them, usually through magazine ads and the like, to non collectors.

Replating also prevented rust, so the shiny cents made good fodder for cheap jewelry. All the coins on a bracelet would be identical in color and "shinyness."

Being the steel is a hard metal, it is not just a ding. Your steel cent could also have been polished (that is what the surface looks like to me) and it would be hard to tell now (either plating or polished) if the "dent" was actually a spot of rust that someone carefully ground off the coin to keep it from spreading. The steel cents were prone to developing rust spots if stored improperly. Either way, I think it would get a details grade in which it really would not be worth the cost of submitting it.

Thank All Yall for your reply's they have been helpful 

I have another Cent that has shinny places after each number and mint mark trying to learn what that means but finding an example to match ant always easy

thanks

daniel

On 5/27/2023 at 5:31 PM, txboaz55 said:

Thank All Yall for your reply's they have been helpful 

I have another Cent that has shinny places after each number and mint mark trying to learn what that means but finding an example to match ant always easy

thanks

daniel

Very difficult to help you with such limited information (no coin date etc), was this cent produced after 1982?   If so you may be seeing split plating.   In a nutshell, when struck the copper plating can be stretched too much and splits exposing the zinc core which is silver in color.   Here is a site with more information and some examples that you can compare to your coin.   While error-ref describes this as on broadstrike coins, it is very commonly seen on all the zinc core cents and very often seen around the date and lettering on non broadstrike coins.

Split plate

Edited by Coinbuf