• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin Collection Advise
2 2

11 posts in this topic

I have a number of ancient silver and gold coins. I am trying to find somewhere to take them for an expert appraisal/opinion. I am planning on attending the up coming coin show in Long Beach Ca. next month. Can anyone recommend someone I can take them to? Photos attached of some of these coins.

E02A8DE9-7750-4937-B531-66C3BF0E7F79.jpeg

Looks like you mostly have foreign/ancient coins, but whether they are legit or copies I don't know.

If the gold coins are actually made of gold -- even if copies -- they would be worth some $$$.

I'll let the Long Beach fans chime in with dealer recommendations.  But going to the show is a smart move to get some good opinions on their worth.

Thanks. I’ve done what I can and the weights are all correct and the metal is genuine. I’ve looked closely at the edges and don’t see any of the tell tail signs but at this point I need to get a professional to that a look. I have started to write to some of the dealers in the area as well. I appreciate all the advise.

I would say HARLAND BERK, but it does not appear that he’ll be attending that show. You can see the dealers that will attend in the show via the link to booth numbers. Contact a couple before the show to see. 

Usually, larger coin shows have an "ancient and foreign" area of the bourse floor where dealers in these types of coins tend to be together.  I don't know whether this is so at Long Beach.  These shows generally do have dealer directories and maps of the bourse floor to make it easier to find specific dealers.

This is my best advice, not knowing the Long Beach crowd at all. Ask Charmy Harker, the Penny Lady @The Penny Lady, for her recommendation for an ancients dealer. She is a quasi-regular on here and while she's NOT your go to dealer on this sort of material, she should darn sure have a good recommendation for you. She would never steer you wrong.

By the way, I think I love that tray that those coins are in.

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/24/2023 at 11:50 AM, VKurtB said:

This is my best advice, not knowing the Long Beach crowd at all. Ask Charmy Harker, the Penny Lady @The Penny Lady, for her recommendation for an ancients dealer. She is a quasi-regular on here and while she's NOT your go to dealer on this sort of material, she should darn sure have a good recommendation for you. She would never steer you wrong.

By the way, I think I love that tray that those coins are in.

...i have found similar trays in jewelry store supply company catalogs....

On 5/24/2023 at 10:55 AM, zadok said:

...i have found similar trays in jewelry store supply company catalogs....

I now have about 10 Abafil trays of various sized openings, from 77 coins on down. Most are red. I have a couple of blue ones and one green. I look for those pups used every chance I get. 

On 5/25/2023 at 12:17 PM, VKurtB said:

I now have about 10 Abafil trays of various sized openings, from 77 coins on down. Most are red. I have a couple of blue ones and one green. I look for those pups used every chance I get. 

Afibs. Yup, I know all about those.  🤣