• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone heard of a "Richmond Dime." Supposedly an error of some sort.
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Just searching for references -- if any. I have no idea what it is except, of course, a dime.

I feel as though someone is trying to pull a fast one on me here...

How do we go from Richmond Dime to The Rich Man Dime?

Even a computer engineered to consider all the permutations and combinations possible could not come up with a source that, frankly, makes no mention of either.

Only a Ratzie-like racketeer could ratchet up those odds.  I, for one, ain't buyin' into this.  No way, Jose!  🤣

On 5/23/2023 at 10:00 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I feel as though someone is trying to pull a fast one on me here...

How do we go from Richmond Dime to The Rich Man Dime?

Even a computer engineered to consider all the permutations and combinations possible could not come up with a source that, frankly, makes no mention of either.

Only a Ratzie-like racketeer could ratchet up those odds.  I, for one, ain't buyin' into this.  No way, Jose!  🤣

Ah... QA.. you forget I come from Massachusetts where the English language is spelled the same but sounds different. I searched for the Richmond Dime with no results.(  Sorry Roger   )  So I tried The Rich Man Dime and it gave me a Rockerfella. Now see what you made me do.:facepalm:  

Edited by J P M

I don’t think it is referring to an error dime. I do think it is a dime from the Richmond collection. Hence, the Richmond dime. I believe it was a Barber dime and the NGC holder indicated the Richmond Collection. I think I recall seeing it when it was up for auction at GC.

Ultimately, the correct answer will depend on whether the OP "read" the reference somewhere, or heard it "verbalized" in conversation or heard it articulated on a device. Moumental difference!  Until then, let's just say I am deferring judgment.

@RWB: the ball is in your court.

I have been re-thinking this post [safe to do when the Moderators are off] and after reading the citation provided thoughtfully by @J P M have come to an unassailable conclusion: the OP himself, I truly believe, would vociferously challenge an assertion such as, "Here is a dime John D himself gave my father with a time and date stamped photograph taken by a roving Daily News photographer to prove it."  (Collectors may be aware that, by contrast, few photos of David Rockefeller exist. He would not allow himself to be photographed.)

Nope. If there is solid evidence, then the assertion, no matter how improbable for Rockefeller, stands. But, if all that is presented is a story with nothing else, then it is a nice story but not something that can be verified.

In this specific instance even the story is filled with basic mechanical and operational errors. Should have been more alert when the owner insisted that U.S.Government Mints were privately owned.  :)