• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin Photography Tips

20 posts in this topic

I have a very nice set of naturally toned wheat pennies. I am wanting to sell and will likely do so on eBay. I am experiencing difficulty photographing the coins in a way that shows the colorful toning. I cannot determine whether it is the type of lighting that is the problem. I am looking for tips on representing the natural color of these coins for presentation. Please help with any suggestions/comments. 

Dr. Bill

Post some pics of what you have so far, and maybe @VKurtB our resident photographic expert may be able to help.

I have always had trouble taking good representative individual pictures of what toned coins look like in-hand, so it may take multiple pics with different backgrounds, angles and lighting.

Edited by EagleRJO

Welcome to the forum, if you do a search on the US coin section of this forum you will find multiple thread on the subject of photography.   To give you any specific help we would need to know your camera equipment, lights, settings, etc.   But in general make sure the coins are directly under the lens and move the lighting around to bring out the color of a coin.  As suggested post up your setup and a couple of photos and I'm sure that we can help, for inspiration.

1915Dccomp.jpg

On 5/23/2023 at 12:38 AM, EagleRJO said:

Post some pics of what you have so far, and maybe @VKurtB our resident photographic expert may be able to help.

I have always had trouble taking good representative individual pictures of what toned coins look like in-hand, so it may take multiple pics with different backgrounds, angles and lighting.

Taking bad pictures of coins is really easy. Taking good pictures of the very same coins might drive you mad. Lighting - amount, placement, and color temperature, are all highly difficult to do right. I've slapped a coin on a flatbed scanner, too. Not good. There are slapdash phone photos at one extreme, and downright Glamour Shots at the other.

Edited by VKurtB

I liked the way my Pixel 3 took coin pics (until the phone had a meltdown). I have had difficulty getting the Pixel 6 to take good coin pics. It is almost as if the phone is trying too hard to take a perfect picture that either the details are "too sharp" or the color literally looks like the "juiced up" photos I see on eBay (which infuriate me) and know the coin in hand does not look like that. I have had some better success with it by placing the coin I want to shoot on a black background instead of a white background. It seems to help lessen some of the light reflecting back at the lens and the coins looked a little more natural. I have noticed on coins that are borderline prooflike (or PL), that too much light is reflected back at the lens and the angle needs to be a little off dead center to get a good shot. I didn't with the Pixel 3, but with the 6 I have to sit down after and use the editing and adjusting tools in the photos app to try to get the pics a little more like what the coin looks like naturally. 

I am definitely not a photo pro, but maybe some of what I posted here could help.

On 5/23/2023 at 11:33 PM, Bill Schroeder said:

Thank you!

Can you indicate what you are using to take the pictutes and the lighting being used (e.g. natural sunlight, 60W led, etc) as well as post what you have so far similar to how Coinbuf posted a coin.

Phone cameras are not designed to produce accurate photos - only ones that are pleasing to people. You have to start with all the "automation" off.

Edited by RWB

On 5/24/2023 at 11:46 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Does anybody here know what equipment Heritage uses for their photos ?

The equipment is ALMOST irrelevant. Technique is king. And even Heritage doesn’t bat 1.000 in getting good representative pictures. Close, but no cigar.

On 5/26/2023 at 1:43 PM, VKurtB said:

The equipment is ALMOST irrelevant. Technique is king. And even Heritage doesn’t bat 1.000 in getting good representative pictures. Close, but no cigar.

These are great photos, IMO.  Showing me the coins as my own eye would see it.  Those matte-like Tru-View pics to me I don't like.

1908 NM WF MS66 CAC $4500 08-11-22.jpg

1908 NM WF MS66 CAC obverse $4500 08-11-22.jpg

No...they use patience and good lighting to get the most out of their equipment.

How much do most pay for a stupid "Fart Phone" oops... "Smart Phone" -- ? You'll have all you need and more for the same $$ in good photo equip, lights, and patience.

I agree with Roger....I think if you know the basics of photography (which I don't xD ) it's mostly the lighting and angling of the stuff.  I think the rest is often overkill.

Remember, these pics are being used by folks on PC monitors that are often just basic HD.  Even if 4K, their own eyes aren't 20/10 seeing, we all have visual acuity limitations, etc.  Nobody is watching these on a 85" 4K monitor that requires tons of pixels/resolution to avoid blow-up imperfections, etc.

I use a Celestron digital scope, which I modified by making a longer post so I can move the scope head further away to take full coin shots.  I also use an external light source in combination with the LED light for raw coins, and just an external light source for slabbed coins.   1946-D, MS67 5FSimage.thumb.jpeg.5b81caac705b03f8793600baaca5b621.jpeg

On 5/26/2023 at 10:19 PM, Louie Atienza said:

Obverse...
image.thumb.jpeg.c52ea2b877ad2d3b562f301632789484.jpeg

Nice clean detail but there is too much red or purple from looking at the white holder. I just took this quick one with my phone yesterday. It is not prefect but it is a true representation of the look of the coin 

1898.jpg

1898 reverse.jpg

Edited by J P M

On 5/26/2023 at 9:19 PM, Louie Atienza said:

Obverse...
image.thumb.jpeg.c52ea2b877ad2d3b562f301632789484.jpeg

@J P M is utterly correct here. This picture is well off in the magenta vs. green layer. I mean, it's a pretty picture al all, and it makes the toning really pop, but it is NOT accurate color. Anyone with Photoshop could instantly tell the curves were off.

Edited by VKurtB

Back on August 19, 2019, NGC's Price Guide lowered the "value" of my 1839 $2.5 by 14.5%, and there it remained for three and three quarter years.

After tapping the holder to rotate the coin this past February, I needed to take new pics of the coin to reflect the way it now looks. (iPhone SE)

I played around with the lighting, and the resultant photos just happened to bring out the popular color of the year:  blue teal, i.e. the My Pillow Guy's teal blue shirt.  lol

This morning when I looked at the NGC coin values for my Registry collection, the coin — and only this coin — had risen overnight by 2% in price.

I attribute this price increase to be a function of the coin's stunning NGC Registry holder-appearance, as can be found when perusing the NGC Coin Explorer for this coin, where its photos reside in the pole-position first place spot.  The coin now has a proof-like Registry appeal, and exudes Art Deco and Art Nouveau aspects that make it one of my favorite coins to view.

Appealing coin photos translate into increased value.