• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie Needs Help

7 posts in this topic

Hey everyone!  I have exactly 58 Eisenhower 1971 through 1974 S Dollars and I don't know what to do with them.  Do I hold for the value to increase?  Have them all graded?  Take my chances and sell on eBay?

Any advice would be much appreciated.  Would like to sell but also don't want to give them away.  Thanks for your help!

Lots of information above, I will only add that there are a few varieties that do sell for significant premiums.   However, I do not collect Ikes, nor am I knowledgeable enough about those significant varieties to be able to advise you on them, it will be on you to do the research and determine if you have any of those varieties unless one of the other members can chime in with that info.

As @Coinbuf pointed out, there are a few varieties of silver clad Eisenhower dollars, including some minor doubled dies and the 1971-S proof "peg leg R" variety, the latter not being very valuable.  Those that are at all significant are listed on NGC VarietyPlus at Eisenhower Dollars (1971-1978) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com).  If you find any of these among your coins, the NGC Price Guide does show values for some of these varieties, but only the 1971-S Proof doubled die obverse (DDO) FS-103 seems to have substantial value. PCGS Coinfacts may have additional information.  It is my impression that there is limited demand for most of these varieties. 

I am in agreeance with what the others have posted. Outside of the varieties mentioned, these coins have not increased in values since they were minted. There were significant mintage numbers of each year (no low mintage years to make a specific year desirable). The series never caught on with collectors or the general public as try putting twenty Ike's in your pocket, or simply folding up one twenty dollar bill. They were big (comparatively speaking) and the clang clang and weight in your pocket was not appealing to the public. Also, most vending type machines did not take them so there was little practical use for them in circulation.

Outside of the varieties, grades need to be graded MS 69 before they have any substantial value and the census numbers of those graded that high (at least by NGC) are very low so if your coins (sans photos) are not basically pristine perfect, they would not be worth the cost of sending them to have them graded as it would likely cause you substantial loss at the time you go to sell them.

I had 4 1974 Clad Ike's that were AU in grade and I put them out on eBay to sell them. The most I got for any single one was $5, the rest selling a $4, and one at $3 (it was a little rougher than the rest). But each of these were listed individually and it took almost a year to sell all four of them even at the prices they sold at. Selling that many you might be better off selling them as rolls or as a lot of all the coins together.