• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for an East Coast Coin Photographer

14 posts in this topic

On 5/20/2023 at 12:54 PM, leeg said:

Always' sent my coins west for imaging. Just too expensive any more.  Can East Coast help?  Thanks, Lee

Any reason you require a professional imager ?  You can't do it yourself with a nice camera/smartphone and tripod ?

What kind of price does a professional imager charge ?

On 5/20/2023 at 9:58 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Any reason you require a professional imager ?  You can't do it yourself with a nice camera/smartphone and tripod ?

If you are ok spending $2,500 in camera gear, lights, and imaging enhancement software then it is very easy to do-it-yourself and achieve professional quality photos.   New cell phones are great and can take a decent photo, just not professional level.   As to cost, most that I have used charge $10-$15 per coin, the problem these days is the shipping to and from the photographer is really expensive.

@leeg I cannot help as I always use Mark Goodman for my photos, maybe contact messydesk and see if he is setting up at any of the east coast shows.

On 5/20/2023 at 1:05 PM, Coinbuf said:

If you are ok spending $2,500 in camera gear, lights, and imaging enhancement software then it is very easy to do-it-yourself and achieve professional quality photos.   New cell phones are great and can take a decent photo, just not professional level.   As to cost, most that I have used charge $10-$15 per coin, the problem these days is the shipping to and from the photographer is really expensive. 

I cannot help as I always use Mark Goodman for my photos, maybe contact messydesk and see if he is setting up at any of the east coast shows.

Does one use a professional if one is considering selling ?  Recording for posterity ?  What ?

I guess I'm just confused...unless the collection is worth 7 or 8-figures, why spend thousands (tens of thousands ?) on imaging ?

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 5/20/2023 at 11:14 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Does one use a professional if one is considering selling ?  Recording for posterity ?  What ?

I guess I'm just confused...unless the collection is worth 7 or 8-figures, why spend thousands (tens of thousands ?) on imaging ?

Why do collectors spend thousands on reholder fees so that they can have the most current holder/label or so the holder is not scratched?   Why do collectors spend thousands of dollars to fly to FUN but come home with no coins only memories?   Collectors spend lots of money on things that I do not consider important but that are important to them.   Nice quality photos are important to me so I have no issue spending money on quality photos.   Clearly I'm not suggesting to send an album of F/VF merc dimes for pro photos, but who knows maybe someone has.   One of the best aspects of registry sets is the sharing of your sets with other collectors, sets with no photos or very poor quality photos are really not a joy to look at, speaking for myself only, I don't even bother to look at sets with no or junky photos.

On 5/20/2023 at 1:14 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

maybe contact messydesk and see if he is setting up at any of the east coast shows.

Great choice. I don't have a problem paying someone to help me with images. I don't have the time to do all the images I need. I have the equipment and the software, just not the time. 

On 5/20/2023 at 2:50 PM, ldhair said:

Goldfinger1969:  "maybe contact messydesk and see if he is setting up at any of the east coast shows."   //  Great choice. I don't have a problem paying someone to help me with images. I don't have the time to do all the images I need. I have the equipment and the software, just not the time. 

Not sure where I talked about Messy and in what thread, but whatever. xD

I will say that I do appreciate good, HD-quality pics.  I noticed that a favorite Saint pic of a fairly common coin (but one that looked great to me) was only like 900x1500 and it pixelated when I zoomed in close on small surface areas on my 24" monitor (but not my smartphone) .  Found another pic that is like 2300x3000 and much much better to zoom on the PC.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 5/20/2023 at 3:05 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I will say that I do appreciate good, HD-quality pics.  I noticed that a favorite Saint pic of a fairly common coin (but one that looked great to me) was only like 900x1500 and it pixelated when I zoomed in close on small surface areas on my 24" monitor (but not my smartphone) .  Found another pic that is like 2300x3000 and much much better to zoom on the PC.

...fyi..u can go to the ANA convention this august in pitts n see in person with ur eyeballs the entire EC collection of ur favorite saints with no pixelation....

On 5/20/2023 at 2:05 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

This is a thought that works for me. If I have someone image coins or I take them myself, I save the original images and never mess with them. I will make a copy/save as of the original if I need to play with it. That way I always have a really high res. image I can use for a closer look at something.  

I also adjust file names so all the images for a coin stay together in my files. 

I don't care for how my images post on this site. The software messes with the res. I can reduce the image size myself and post it but I'm not going to do that just to post here. Messy sends me images in several file sizes. I really like that.

For me personally, I've invested a few hundred bucks into my photography setup and I take really good pictures of most of my coins. This has helped me win "Best Presented" Sets in the NGC Registry 3 times. I'm proud of my pictures... and I take them to share on the forums, Registry, etc. 

However... I can't compare with the pros. 

@leeg I don't know who you've sent your coins to. I'll say that Robec (Bob Campbell) is very, very good. I've sent him quite a lot of coins in the past, before I built my own setup. I'll say that Sir Messy is also exceptional. I've sent him some of my very difficult coins... well worth the modest price he charges. If you don't buy his calendar each year, what are you doing? 

I will also add... there are some "professional" photographers that charge a fee and I've been incredibly disappointed with their pictures. I'd absolutely avoid Todd, aka BlueCC. Great guy, very friendly... he just didn't do a good job with the coins I sent him. 

On 5/20/2023 at 12:58 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

The difference between a good smartphone used well, and an actual camera with a proper lens and lighting..... Its like the difference between a Walmart steak and the nicest steak you've ever eaten. They just can't compare. 

Some imagers don't charge much... they enjoy taking pictures, and enjoy seeing the coins, and that's how they enjoy the hobby. The best photog I've used charged $10 per coin, plus shipping.