• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin1961

4 posts in this topic

The better photos than on your previous post indicate that this 1957-D Lincoln cent has a scrape on the "7" of the date that dislodged and shifted some of the metal of that numeral.  The reverse also shows damage. It is possible that the depression beneath and through the last letters of "AMERICA" originated with a planchet lamination (poorly mixed metal that flaked off the planchet after it was struck). This could be classified as a mint error, but it would not be a significant or valuable one.

Contrary to what you may have seen on non-numismatic sites such as YouTube, coins exhibiting significant mint errors rarely turn up in circulation. I've been collecting U.S. coins and looking through change for the past 52 years, and the only legitimate error coins I've found are a couple of "broadstruck" quarters and a blank cent planchet, each worth only a few dollars each.    

In order to learn about error coins and what they look like, you may want to review the following introductory articles about mint errors on the NGC website:

Variety vs. Mint Error | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 1 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 2 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 3 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

For a comprehensive overview of mint errors, see error-ref.com.

If you are a new collector, you may also benefit from the following topics on this forum:

I am not so sure about a lamination error on the reverse seeing there is varying levels of environmental damage, I would lean more towards post mint damage to the reverse. As for the 7, IF that were to be created by a die gouge, it still would not be classified as a mint error but would rather have to be attributed as a variety by a numismatic expert panel with other samples of the same attribution also known to collectors.

Welcome to the forum.. I agree the 7 looks like displaced metal and while the reverse is questionable the coin itself has too much damage to be worth more than a cent. Maybe a coin to save as a curiosity but that is all .