• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ANA Graded coins?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I have some ANA graded coins and according to your web site you are the official grader of ANA coins. My question is, will the ANA graded coin crossover to NGC if I submit it for that reason?

• Administrator

Hello @Chamalovr, thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately, we currently only CrossOver coins that are graded by PCGS. If you were to send in coins graded by ANA, they would be graded a "new" or "raw". You may kindly read more about our CrossOver service here: Tips For Using NGC CrossOver Service | NGC

Please let us know if you have any additional questions. Thank you!

The "ANA" (American Numismatic Association) hasn't graded coins since the early 1990s, when the association sold ANACS (originally the American Numismatic Association Certification Service) to private owners. ANACS has been privately owned since that time and is not affiliated with the ANA. The "ANACS" name is no longer an acronym.  The only "ANA graded coins" would be unencapsulated coins accompanied by ANACS photo certificates from the 1970s and 80s and coins in the minority of small size ANACS holders that have the words "AMERICAN NUMISMATIC ASSOCIATION" on the hologram on the back of the holder.

The ANA has designated NGC as its official grading service for some years now in return for NGC providing certain benefits to ANA members and, I believe, other consideration.

In all honesty you could well lose value by crossing over to a new holder.   Some of those early ANA type holders with the alpha/numeric cert numbers and gold foil hologram on the rev (see one of my examples below) are sought by collectors just for the holder.   And attractive copper coins in those old holders are very highly sought after as that old holder shows the coin is stable and not messed with.     You may have other reasons to want a new holder/crossover and that is your decision, just wanted to pass on that information in case you were not aware.

If you have one of the newer style holders like the yellow colored label with the info printed along the top of the slab, those are not generally collectable for just the slab.

1879sds-obv3.jpg

1879sds-rev3.jpg

Edited by Coinbuf