• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help please - 1553-dated silver coin, 0.9g, I am guessing German States / Saxony
2 2

8 posts in this topic

You are correct it a 1553 Saxony 1/4 taler … I’m not sure if it’s listed in any modern catalog book … I happen to collect a lot German coins myself I have other books like John S. Davenport on German Talers I’ll have look in there but I doubt it will be listed because most of the information is based on larger Talers … 1/4 taler was minor coinage back then but it is listed in the books somewhere probably an older German catalog used in Germany  …. However I did a quick search on MA-shops and I found one similar to yours you can look link up for yourself , you maybe able to email dealer on that listing they can tell you what it is where the information is found too 

https://www.ma-shops.com/mueller/item.php?id=48877

On 5/5/2023 at 1:40 PM, EarlyUS.com said:

Thanks for the help!  That website helped me definitively identify it as a 1553 dreier.

@EarlyUS.com Ma-shop is nice I order and deal with some dealers on there from time to time when I’m looking for certain German coins for my collection …. But lately their prices sky rocketed for no real reason even the graded coins stuff is priced way way way too high not even worth it … I tried haggled with a few dealers they are just hard headed won’t even budge $1 down !  

@EarlyUS.com I did little more digging around and research for you… I haven’t had chance to sit down at my desk at home and look into any of my German coin catalogs or books yet but I will when I get a chance … but I notice on your coin there no inscription (lettering) on obverse/reverse of the coin …unless it was heavily worn off or perhaps it a different denomination (without lettering) unlike the 1/4 taler as pictured in the links?

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces155195.html

Edited by Jason Abshier

On 5/5/2023 at 3:34 PM, Jason Abshier said:

@EarlyUS.com Ma-shop is nice I order and deal with some dealers on there from time to time when I’m looking for certain German coins for my collection …. But lately their prices sky rocketed for no real reason even the graded coins stuff is priced way way way too high not even worth it … I tried haggled with a few dealers they are just hard headed won’t even budge $1 down !  

I am a ma-shops patron.  My only problem with them is a lack of consistency.  If you have a line-up of twenty coins, you would expect a small price disparity for the same coin grade encapsulated by the same TPGS. But, unfortunately, the differential can be $100 in the $500 to $600  range for the same MS grade.  Their SEARCH function too, is not user-friendly.

On 5/5/2023 at 10:58 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I am a ma-shops patron.  My only problem with them is a lack of consistency.  If you have a line-up of twenty coins, you would expect a small price disparity for the same coin grade encapsulated by the same TPGS. But, unfortunately, the differential can be $100 in the $500 to $600  range for the same MS grade.  Their SEARCH function too, is not user-friendly.

I hear you on that one as well I noticed the prices can vary a lot on MA-shops for same type of coin they describe in same condition …. I been buying very little on there lately used to deal a good bit on there in fact my about 80% of my Raw German collection been selected through certain dealers through on MA-shops …

But the last 2 years I’ve been seeing new dealers on there the prices shot up for no real reason for common coins in common conditions they describe it like it is the  “crème of the crop” blow it up look closer I can see contact marks all over it it’s NOT GEM basic trying sell a MS63 coin like it’s a MS67 Raw! I try haggle a price with them they get stubborn won’t budge…  I’ve won German coins on heritage for 3/4 LESS than the cost of what MA-shop trying to charge where they get their prices ? I have no idea but it’s getting worse than EBay (which has a lot coins prices way way out of their value charts)