• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

help with dating Iranian coins?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I was going through a lot of coins from a goodwill auction and found these two coins. I am slowly learning how to read Arabic dates on coins but the date on the ¼ Pahlavī does not make sense to me if I am reading it correctly it says 2539. the 1/4 Azadi has a date of 1370 (1991). they are both 16mm diameter and weigh 2.04g.each on my scale. I cannot get good photos with my "coin" microscope i bought from amazon (that barely works for coins)  but I will dig it out and charge the battery if someone wants to see the date I read as 2539 up close. The price guide here has 2537 but no 2539.

20230502_194309.jpg

20230502_194332.jpg

DSCF7059.JPG

For about two and a half years, they changed dating systems from SH (solar hegira) to MS, which is years since the accession of Cyrus the Great. It was probably considered Yet Another Assault on Islam by a monarch who mega-couldn't read his national room and was going to be overthrown in a few years over it.

On 5/2/2023 at 10:19 PM, MIke_Mike said:

I was going through a lot of coins from a goodwill auction and found these two coins. I am slowly learning how to read Arabic dates on coins but the date on the ¼ Pahlavī does not make sense to me if I am reading it correctly it says 2539. the 1/4 Azadi has a date of 1370 (1991). they are both 16mm diameter and weigh 2.04g.each on my scale. I cannot get good photos with my "coin" microscope i bought from amazon (that barely works for coins)  but I will dig it out and charge the battery if someone wants to see the date I read as 2539 up close. The price guide here has 2537 but no 2539.

20230502_194309.jpg

20230502_194332.jpg

DSCF7059.JPG

@MIke_Mike, are you the guy in the commercial that the camel wants to guess what day it is?

On 5/3/2023 at 10:22 AM, VKurtB said:

@MIke_Mike, are you the guy in the commercial that the camel wants to guess what day it is?

I have never seen that commercial was it for bud light? I did just get back from the local coin store and they said the coins are gold.

After spending some time referring to both the international numeral chart and the Iran listings in my 2010 Standard Catalog of World Coins, I was able to translate the coin with the effigy of the last Shah as "2536", which corresponds to 1977 under a dating system used only in 1977-78.  The other piece is dated "1370", which corresponds to 1991 in the Islamic calendar. 

Assuming that you are correct about the denominations and that the coins are genuine, the 1977 quarter Pahlavi contains 0.0589 oz. of gold and was valued at bullion value in 2010.  The 1977 quarter Azadi contained 0.0588 oz. gold and listed $300 in "Uncirculated" at that time. You should refer to the NGC World Price Guide (under the "Resources" tab on the NGC home page) for current retail valuations.

On 5/3/2023 at 3:03 PM, Sandon said:

After spending some time referring to both the international numeral chart and the Iran listings in my 2010 Standard Catalog of World Coins, I was able to translate the coin with the effigy of the last Shah as "2536", which corresponds to 1977 under a dating system used only in 1977-78.  The other piece is dated "1370", which corresponds to 1991 in the Islamic calendar. 

Assuming that you are correct about the denominations and that the coins are genuine, the 1977 quarter Pahlavi contains 0.0589 oz. of gold and was valued at bullion value in 2010.  The 1977 quarter Azadi contained 0.0588 oz. gold and listed $300 in "Uncirculated" at that time. You should refer to the NGC World Price Guide (under the "Resources" tab on the NGC home page) for current retail valuations.

Thank you, I will look at the price guide. I will also look for a more current version of the standard catalog of world coins.

On 5/3/2023 at 4:59 PM, MIke_Mike said:

I will also look for a more current version of the standard catalog of world coins.

Sometimes it’s not even worth investing into a newer world coin catalog … Just as long as you got the Krause numbers out the book you can look it up on NGC’s world coins price guide for free and save yourself the money …. Unless you like looking at hard copies books or CDs for world coins whichever you prefer … I collect German coins most of the Krause German coin catalogs are way way out of date I don’t even bother buying updated current issues I just look on NGC world coin prices