• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Morgan Silver Dollars 1850-1921

20 posts in this topic

Hello all. I am new to all of this and am looking for information. I live in Alaska, and unfortunately there are not any NGC grading services in the state that I could find.   I inherited 6 Morgan silver dollar coins from my grandparents several years ago.  I have attached photos of one of the 1921 "D" series here and am hoping for feedback.  What grade would you give this coin? What do you think a dealer would pay me for this coin? Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provided! Best, Shelly

coin 1921 front.jpg

coin1921 back D.jpg

Welcome Shellyj.            What EagleRJO has said is correct . this coin has many contact marks so it would only bring in a minimum price. Also not all Morgan's bring a primum price there are many factors to consider. Feel free to post more coins the members here are very knowledgeable and will give you honest answers to your questions. Good job on the photo.

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Morgan dollars are dated from 1878 to 1904 and 1921, not including the new mint collectors' reproductions dated 2021.  I don't know where you got the idea that they go back to 1850. As others have stated, your 1921-D has insufficient value to make it worthwhile for certification by a third-party grading service such as NGC. Before you even think about submitting coins to grading services, you need to learn how to grade and otherwise evaluate coins yourself.  If you are interested in becoming a collector, you do this by learning about coins, such as by referring to the print and online resources referred to in the following topics:

You would also benefit from attending coins shows and coin club meetings where you can examine coins you want to collect and speak to experienced collectors and dealers. You could also get opinions from them on the coins that you inherited. I don't know where you live in Alaska, but I know that there is an Anchorage Coin Club.

On 5/2/2023 at 1:32 AM, EagleRJO said:

Welcome to the forum!  Pretty good job with the photos, except they are a little blurry (try resting your arm on something while taking the pics) and they should be posted right-side-up (see attached).

It's hard to tell with the blurry pics, but it looks like a high AU or low MS grade depending on if there are any rub marks or luster lost with the coin in-hand and considering there is a lot of "chatter" or random contact marks all over on both sides.  Likely an AU with all those contact marks.

As far as what a dealer would give you for the coin, it would be valued at around $60.  But that is what someone would pay when buying the coin, so expect a dealer to offer around half that or around $30 with all the chatter, maybe even less.

As far as submitting it to NGC for grading you can mail the coin to them, but I would not recommend doing that as the cost for grading would be around $60 to $80, which would exceed the value of the coin so you would lose money.  A coin would really need to be valued around $300 in order for it to be worth submitting a coin for grading.

Welcome Forum.jpg

1921-D Morgan Forum Shellyj SBS.jpg

On 5/2/2023 at 1:32 AM, EagleRJO said:

Welcome to the forum!  Pretty good job with the photos, except they are a little blurry (try resting your arm on something while taking the pics) and they should be posted right-side-up (see attached).

It's hard to tell with the blurry pics, but it looks like a high AU or low MS grade depending on if there are any rub marks or luster lost with the coin in-hand and considering there is a lot of "chatter" or random contact marks all over on both sides.  Likely an AU with all those contact marks.

As far as what a dealer would give you for the coin, it would be valued at around $60.  But that is what someone would pay when buying the coin, so expect a dealer to offer around half that or around $30 with all the chatter, maybe even less.

As far as submitting it to NGC for grading you can mail the coin to them, but I would not recommend doing that as the cost for grading would be around $60 to $80, which would exceed the value of the coin so you would lose money.  A coin would really need to be valued around $300 in order for it to be worth submitting a coin for grading.

Welcome Forum.jpg

1921-D Morgan Forum Shellyj SBS.jpg

thank you for sharing that information with me!

On 5/2/2023 at 6:58 AM, Sandon said:

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Morgan dollars are dated from 1878 to 1904 and 1921, not including the new mint collectors' reproductions dated 2021.  I don't know where you got the idea that they go back to 1850. As others have stated, your 1921-D has insufficient value to make it worthwhile for certification by a third-party grading service such as NGC. Before you even think about submitting coins to grading services, you need to learn how to grade and otherwise evaluate coins yourself.  If you are interested in becoming a collector, you do this by learning about coins, such as by referring to the print and online resources referred to in the following topics:

You would also benefit from attending coins shows and coin club meetings where you can examine coins you want to collect and speak to experienced collectors and dealers. You could also get opinions from them on the coins that you inherited. I don't know where you live in Alaska, but I know that there is an Anchorage Coin Club.

I'll take a look at those readings. Thank you!

At first look I started to question whether the coin is a counterfeit. The shape of the date didn't look right to me. Upon further analysis of the photo provided by NGC on NGC Coin Explorer, makes me question the authenticity even more. The numerals don't look right, especially the 2, and the lips of Liberty do not seem to match the photo of an authentic 1921 D. I have provided the photo below for others to view and comment.

5743308-008o.jpg

Edited by powermad5000

From a picture overlay the date and lips are very close.  It looks like it may just be the lighting or shading of the op's coin pic causes it to look a little different.  Some better in focus pics would be needed to be more definitive.

Edited by EagleRJO

I have 6 coins that I had been thinking about selling....I had BIG dollar signs in my head, but sounds like that might have been a pipe dream :|.  I will upload the other coins however, as I think some are in better condition than this one and see what folks think.  I very much appreciate the information and as I read more, I actually find it quite interesting!  

I too am a coin collector and am very interested in learning more about Morgan silver dollars. I know that they were produced between 1878 and 1904, and then again in 1921. Some coin years are quite rare and valued by collectors especially. I would like to hear from other participants in the discussion what years of coin issue they consider the most valuable and interesting to collect. I would also appreciate any information on where to find quality Morgan coins and what their average prices might be.

Edited by RexWescott

On 5/3/2023 at 4:26 AM, RexWescott said:

I too am a coin collector and am very interested in learning more about Morgan silver dollars. I know that they were produced between 1878 and 1904, and then again in 1921. Some coin years are quite rare and valued by collectors especially. I would like to hear from other participants in the discussion what years of coin issue they consider the most valuable and interesting to collect. I would also appreciate any information on where to find quality Morgan coins and what their average prices might be.

You should buy the Whitman Red Book for Morgan Silver Dollars....great stories...year-by-year short descriptions on the coins, mintage, and survivors....price estimates at time of publishing.

On 5/3/2023 at 1:52 AM, shellyj said:

I have 6 coins that I had been thinking about selling....I had BIG dollar signs in my head, but sounds like that might have been a pipe dream :|.  

It almost always is....like 99.9% of the time. xD Unless the coins are very rare and in great condition -- a rare combination -- or we are talking about gold coins, most people have $100 or a few hundred in coins, tops.  No 4 or 5-figure windfall.(thumbsu

Edited by GoldFinger1969

I too am a coin collector and am very interested in learning more about Morgan silver dollars.

I would start with the following topics which covers coin collecting resources and coin collecting books, including one on Morgans, as well as a topic on Resources for collectors.  I would also become familiar with a website called VAM World dedicated to information about and varieties of Morgans, some of which are very valuable that you may be able to cherry pick.

http://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/428817-resources-for-new-collectors/

http://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/430263-basic-resources-glossary-for-those-posting-questions/

http://www.vamworld.com/wiki/Home

I would like to hear from other participants in the discussion what years of coin issue they consider the most valuable and interesting to collect. I would also appreciate any information on where to find quality Morgan coins and what their average prices might be.

The book by Bowers on Morgans referenced above has discussions on many of the more interesting years and the following link on the rarest and therefore most valuable Morgans.

https://www.workandmoney.com/s/most-valuable-morgan-silver-dollars-44e264f9fd704712

As far as pricing for Morgans see the following price guide from NGC and Auction Archives from Great Collections:

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/united-states/dollars/49/

https://www.greatcollections.com/Auction-Archive/

And on where to get quality Morgans avoid sites like Etsy and eBay like the plague and stick with: larger auction houses like Great Collections or Heritage Auctions; and larger reputable dealers like Apmex, MCM, Littleton, Northeast, JD Bullion, etc.

Happy Morgan Hunting!

Book - Morgan Silver Dollars.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

That one is getting out of hand with the editions which I think is kind of a money grab.  I went with the previous edition than the current which is a lot less money and I don't use it for the updated pricing info anyway.  I use NGC and PCG$ price guide and Great collections auction records.

On 5/4/2023 at 12:44 AM, EagleRJO said:

That one is getting out of hand with the editions which I think is kind of a money grab.  I went with the previous edition than the current which is a lot less money and I don't use it for the updated pricing info anyway.  I use NGC and PCG$ price guide and Great collections auction records.

I wish they do a new one for Double Eagles (last one 2004). :o

On 5/4/2023 at 12:44 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I wish they do a new one for Double Eagles (last one 2004). :o

They’ve all gathered almost 20 years more of dust. End of story. :baiting::roflmao: